confusion over postgraduate DIPLOMA

E

hello all, new user here, so be kind!first off, got a 2:2 (boo I know!!), from a UK university.

This is a couple of years ago mind!
anyway, been weighing up my 'further education option', and feel that a MASTERS at this point would most likely be an unsuccess option due to my poor first degree results AND me being undecided in a subject. So was feeling a Postgrad DIPLOMA could be a more sensible use of money AND time!
However it has got me confused. I was thinking that doing it through the Open University would also be a possible option, any opinions on this would be gratfully appreciated!

however on the subject of confusion(!), how long are postgrad diplomas taught for?and are they basically a Masters without the final dissertation?

I understand that upon completion, to study for a Masters you can not use points gained from the diploma TOWARDS the Masters?

sorry if this appears rambling, I will try and clear up anything that comes across confusing!

cheers in advance!

ED

S

Hey Ed,

Just before any of us get carried away with generalisations - what subject/discipline did you do your undergrad in, and what discipline do you plan to do next? That does have quite a bearing on the response.

E

ah yeah, thought I forgot some important details!my degree is Major 'American studies' minor 'Business studies'

some kind of history or humanities of some kind seem to be the most sensible options, nothing related to american studies due to the limited understanding of it in the 'wider work place' and nothing business related due to a serious lack of passion!

B

OK- in that field a 2:2 is a bit more problematic than it seems to be in the sciences. The less picky universities probably won't mind. Quite a few good universities though will let you enrol initially for a postgrad diploma with the idea that you can then continue onto the MA dissertation (the only difference) if you do well enough on the taught section. This could be an option and worth trying to ask about with course leaders. It would though probably only work if you were willing to stay at the same institution. OK Oxbridge and LSE probably wouldn't but I think it'd be worth asking elsewhere.

BUT I think you need to be very careful if you don't know exactly what you want to do because, I THINK and hope someone else can confirm or deny this, that the new ELQ rules that come in next academic year mean that you can only pay the subsidised home (rather than more expensive ELQ or in some places international fees) for one degree at the same level. THis is definitely true now for people wanting to do two BA degrees and I suspect a PGDip at the Open University and any subsequent stand-alone MA you wanted to do might fall into the same trap. So it might be worth hanging on until you're very sure what you want to do and then asking whether they'd let you initially register for a PGDip if they say a 2:2 isn't acceptable for the MA.