Death penalty: Too heavy for a friday evening?

A

Hi all! In an effort to try to forget about my supervisor, I am doing some marking tonight watching the "Prison Break". Since my PhD is in a related area, I was wondering how many of you (if any) agree with people being on the death row? I was just reading that after 1992 with all the DNA analyses being possible, more than 1 person per year is exonerated after a wrongful conviction. It is unbelievable, isnt it?

A

I agree with MistaG.

J

I can't see how death by the state is justified under any circumstances. That's the ultimate in barbarism as far as I'm concerned. And from a rehabilitation perspective, you don't learn anything about what makes someone violent by simply eliminating them.

D

The death penalty makes me feel sick. I am totally against it

M

Me too! I d rather die than being on death row!

T

hehe Maria, isn't dying the point of being on death row

M

Im sorry thecoastman that I am taking a different perspective here! I think noone deserves to be on death row for any reason in the world! I could go on talking about absence of free will and how we are all products of our environment, DNA etc but I dont want to cause more fights on the forum.

S

What do we think about the death penalty for Saddam Hussein?

D

I am still totally against it. I dont think murder is right in any guise

H

What about children killers/abusers who have been sentenced without a doubt?

Like that guy in the news recently who killed his baby by bashing it around because he liked having the power over females.

D

What I find absurd is that the punishment for crimes against humanity is a crime against humanity. Its the old cliche that two wrongs dont make a right

S

Being anti the death penalty doesn't mean you don't condemn absolutely the actions of criminals, but that you feel there are certain standards that should be considered in terms of punishment