Do you back-up?

S

The answer to my question is no! You can't use it if your windows explorer isn't working and its for some reason added 6 files to dropbox and I can't find out what they are :-( I'm hating my computer so much right now

surely you can't be on here if you haven't got internet explorer? or are you using some new-fangled phone gadget?

S

Not internet explorer, that works fine :-) Windows explorer - its the main running programme I think - its what is activated if you click 'my computer', 'control panel', open documents, print, etc etc - basically anything like that. i can open Word and Excel individually and then open documents from within there but I couldn't open 'My Documents' and open files in that way - utter nightmare - can't print, can't open anything, can't backup etc etc - can't do sod all come to think of it!

C

Cheers for your replies. I used to only back-up the most important work I had on 2 USB sticks, but almost losing the other stuff made me realise how important it was too, I didn't realise I had so much stuff!

Sneaks, what you said about your friends harddrive wiping out really freaked me out. I only just got one and am so chuffed with it :p but now I'm terrified incase it randomly wipes out.

Not sure about Dropbox, what if someone tried to hack in?

CBx

never heard of windows explorer - have you tried turning it on and off again ;-)

Drop box seems ok - I'm just putting my writing in there - which is all a bit rubbish lol I doubt anyone would want it!

S

Lol, there's no way to do it Sneaks, its the main running programme for the computer systems. It drives me mad, I'm told to open the updates and to update if necessary (does it automatically anyway) but when you click on updates it thinks for a bit, then says Windows Explorer has stopped worked, restarting, still not working.... it hasn't been since Christmas :-( You literally can't open a thing - I can't get into any of the main operating systems, can't even check my hardrive cos I can't open the 'my computer'. Had someone look at it who also can't do it - suggested restoring back to November or something - computer said no - Windows Explorer is not working..... went in another way, still couldn't do it - utter nightmare :-(

C

Stressed - how on earth did you manage working on your computer like that? Pretty impressive :p but it does sound serious.

Have you tried looking online for a solution? I had a wee look and a lot mention editing the registry, but I guess a) you can't get into your registry and b) messing with the registry is a really risky business.

I wasn't very helpful! Sorry :$

S

Lol Cheekybint, I manage by tying my hands to the armrest of my chair to ensure i don't throw the damned thing out of the window ;-) Its incredibly difficult - to date I've kind of got around it by sending my work as email attachments to myself and sending work to my mum to print off for me but its certainly not ideal! I've had it explained to me how to do it, and my computer engineer friend has tried without success - its so locked down that its hard to access anything, and no, I can't access my registry ;-) The trouble is that there's no way I can afford to replace it - they reckon the problem was caused by the laptop overheating due to the fan being complete s**t which has caused a problem on the motherboard or something like that - I don't understand a word of it lmao - I'm a historian not a computer scientist (wish I was!!!) As it is the laptop has to live here permanently on a cooling tray that blows cold air into it - great fun :-(

I should write a book, 'How to do a PhD without an operational computer' - but then I couldn't print it off and would be likely to lose it due to stupid computer :p