emailing big files

S

hi, satchi again!
Sorry I'm still not clear about dropbox, can somebody explain to me.

I read on the dropbox FAQ that people can access our public folder? I'm also not sure about this part: if we use dropbox online and the dropbox application, how different is that? So if I put a file in my public folder, then right click Dropbox-->copy public link, can other people see this file?

also I put a file sized 700MB in the Public folder, right-clicked and got the copy public link, and pasted that in an email sent it to my friend, but he was not able to access that link? how is that. what have I done wrong?

thanks very much
love satchi

B

The Dropbox application provides more functionality and lets you share larger files.

Other people can only see files in your Public folder if they know the URL, so they're not readily findable.

You have to allow time for the file to be syncd to the Dropbox servers. It's possible your 700MB file hadn't finished uploading yet and that could be why your friend couldn't download it. On my Mac the icon changes to show when it's uploaded.

S

hi bilbo!! thanks! thats a relief.
OK I will ask my friend to try the link again later then.
thanks again
love satchi

S

I email big files quite regularly. If you have a mac filechute is one of the best applications, IMO.

S

hi sbcc are you using the free version of filechute?
it took ages for a 800MB file to be uploaded onto Dropbox.
Will it be the same thing for filechute?

anyway I have finally learnt how to use dropbox HAHAHA I'm so not tech-savvy.
thanks again everyone

love satchi

S

No, I paid for it, for me it was well worth it, as it is much more easier, IMO, as dropbox, or yousendit. It's quite quick! I send gigabytes a lot of the times and it takes around 2-3 minutes (max 4-5), and then I just paste the link it gives me into the email, and the person I sent it to can just click on that and download the stuff.

S

hi SBCC
I just discovered that Dropbox installed Growl for me!!! I saw this "paw" and the next thing I knew I had an application without even knowing it. I don't like dropbox because of this. I'm going to have a look at Filechute later tonight.

but first, I need to see how to un-install growl and dropbox.
thanks again
love satchi

S

Try and download a free trial of CLeanmymac. Then from the application folder drag whatever you want to delete to 'Uninstall Application'. CLeanmymac will get rid off everything that's connected to that application.

S

thanks a lot!!!
love satchi

S

You're welcome. :-) Let me know how it goes with filechute.