Extra-curricular activties

S

riding my horse is the best way to get away from phd stuff. i also volunteer to help out at as many equine events as possible, and also do a bit of teaching for my local pony club. it's fantastic - you get to be outside all day, watching horses, and watching the kids enjoying themselves. now if only i could get a phd in it my life would be complete.....!

W

Well, I've finally acquired some voluntary work - about 6 hours a week. I'm going to train as a voluntary health advisor assistant and work with people who have unhealthy lifestyles (makes me a hypocrite). There's about 4 hours of training I have to do prior - probably including how to approach the issue with people without getting a smack in the face! Have to say I'm really looking forward to it though. It should give my PhD life more variety than a cheese and tomato pizza at least. :-)

S

Before the PhD took over my life, I used to volunteer at a community radio station, presenting a show. Which was great fun, and I got to be creative in a different area of life, and listen to music I love. No time for that anymore though...but as others have suggested, exercise is good too. If I had more time I'd like to volunteer at an animal shelter.

I also go to the gym as well as play tennis - very nice running about in the sunshine with others...