Göteborg - anyone been? holidays elsewhere people?

C

I'm of to Göteborg in Feb (Sweden) and having only been to Stockholm I have no idea what it is like - I got £42 return flights! Anyone been? I'm going for the regional heats of Melodifestivalen ( Swedish music competition)

Anyone got holidays planned?

U

"Holiday"??

What's that?

M

Never been, but bought a few of their players on Football Manager...

N

I was there 6 years ago! Actually I was on holiday in Oslo and did a 1-day trip to Gotenborg. It's a nice lovely Scandinavian city, I think it's called "the Swedish Venice" or something like that. I really don't have much tips about what to do apart from wandering through the streets and near to the river and canals, I was there for 1 day only. I also visited it in February and I don't think it's the best month because the days are really short and it's incredibly cold.

C

Hmm, yeah it is going to be around -10 in Feb! The Swedish Venice sounds nice.

A holiday? ULUG - you've got to have some kind of holiday at some point, I'm not one of these PhD's that are willing to burn themselves out. Esp. in the first year - I may as well go on a long weekend whilst I can.

P

Chris I completely agree - I am a big believer in holidays. I would rather spend money on going away than anything else, clothes, house stuff etc I can live with out.
I think it is very important to let loose & seek new horizons.

U

Yeah, holiday is always good (especially if it's longer than 2 weeks as scientific studies show that only then your mind and body will start to relax). However, I find it hard to take holiday in the middle of term, i.e. between September and June.

Over the summer I might take 4 weeks off (completely off which means no PhD, no supervision meetings, no reading, no PhD forum and no Internet access).

Z

I didn't think BWO were participating this year?

S

I am going home (Athens,Greece) for 1 week and immediately afterwards I am going to Egypt (Cairo and Luxor) for 1 more week. Never been to Egypt before, I really can't wait!

C

Zingo!!!! Oh my god - somebody else who had heard of BWO!!!

No, sadly BWO are too busy touring - I was so peeved to have missed them by two days at Skansen during the sommar. Sigh.

So are you a fan of melodifestivalen by any chance? Apparently Jimmy Janssen and Jessica Andersson are playing in the Göteborg heat.

BTW: The new video to BWO's Chariots of Fire has been released.

A

hey...yeah im heading away for 5 days to spain in jan just after my first year talk! im all excited...will b cold but dont care...just heading for the break! yipee!

C

Scamp - before I started my PhD my parents took me to Egypt for two weeks (they got a cheap deal. Luxor was amazing, but I got sick from drinking mango juice from a market seller (to be fair-it was my fault drinking mango juice that had been warmed in the sun) - and couldn't leave the hotel room for a week. I lost about 6lb in weight that week from lack of food and water volume *ewwwww...*

But the Karnak temple complex at Luxor is amazing!

Have fun!

Z

Chrisrolinski:
Oh, Melodifestivalen is the best! Andreas Johnson will be competing again this year - still a bit upset about him not winning last time.

Have you any connection to Sweden or did you get hooked because of BWO? (I'm Swedish myself but live in the UK).

M

Mmmmm, Swedish model...

C

Zingo...

Nej, jag kommer från England, men jag har varit Sverige förut!

Actually, a friend introduced my to Melodifestivalen, and I started getting into Schlager and then liked BWO and then decided to start learning Swedish. My vocab is currently at a few hundred words, and I hope one day to ...pratar Svensk flytande...

I was really impressed by the university of Stockholm and the museums in the city - I'm not suprised the PhD system is efficent too!