Going into the Private Sector

D

I went to see my supervisors yesterday, now having finished my PhD, and one of the things that came up was an invite to talk about life in the Private Sector - or, kind of, what can you do with a PhD that isn't in academia and what skills are useful.

Would you have found this useful if someone had spoken to you about it? I remember several people coming to give talks about life in academia, and one from a company that was specifically recruiting, but never anyone talking about life away from academia. Just trying to gauge how much interest there would be.

A

I personally think this is a great idea DanB, its good to know that your PhD is beneficial outside of academia, even if it's in the application of transferable skills and not directly using your research. There have been several courses in this area given by the careers department here and they've been v popular! Especially in the current climate where public sector and uni jobs are getting few and far between.....

T

I'd certainly attend a talk on that. Lots of phd-ers aren't sold on academia and there's precious little information about the alternatives. If you've got time then go for it.