HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

P

Hope no one else except me :-( is stuck in working on a georgous day like today.

T

Err, I am too

A

I've been out on a 20 mile bike ride today (which was a good excuse to eat choc eggs later, calorie deficit and all that!), fantastic weather. Happy Easter one and all!

F

Another one out walking today after some boring DIY. Happy Easter everyone.

I

Ooh - I did my 20 mile bike ride on Saturday, Ann... my bottom is still recovering. I am tempted to ask about that particular pain in the rear that you get from excessive cycling. WHAT can be done to prevent it?? (Except NOT cycling, of course

A

Padded shorts are the only way! You don't have to suffer the 80s lycra look though, buy padded undershorts which you can wear under baggy overshorts (bike specific baggy shorts are best (have panels designed to allow movement) but you could just wear them under normal shorts or trousers etc). Make sure you get gender specific padded undershorts though as the padded chamois is very different for men and women (not so surprisingly).

Also, make sure your saddle is back far enough and it helps to have the front pointing slightly down, reduces the pressure! Gel saddle covers help a bit too.

I

Already got the seat cover, but will check the seat's adjustment - thanks!

P

insomniac - you definitely need to have spongy pants. I have the ones with the spongy bit built into regular-looking baggy shorts (I am not too keen on wearing lycra pants in public!) and they are presentable enough to stop at a cafe for a coffee during a ride. Funny thing is when I went to buy them, all the spongy pants for girls had bright pink sponges! Boys get nice sensible black or grey sponge - all the girls get hot pink!

Leaves the only problem I am yet to solve - helmet hair! Nasty stuff. Sweaty, sticky-down, helmet hair. There is no escaping it.

I

i get a particularly attractive red stripe across my forehead with mine, piglet

ok, i'll try the pants, although i always thought my bottom was round enough

A

The chamois in my various cycling garments are all pale blue (various brands) and they are female specific? Interesting...

I've no suggestions for avoiding helmet hair, other than not wearing helmet which is very bad idea of course!

S

belated Happy Easter!

J

Can anyone recommend a good bike for me? I have been using one that my mother got me, but it was bought by mail order and I can't quite get comfortable on it (think it's cos I'm quite small). Is it a good idea to buy a teenager's bike, or are they not the best quality?

I

Don't know if 'advertising' is allowed, but I get most of my sports related equipment from a place called 'Decathlon' - is there one near you, juno? They have lots of stock, across the price range and you would be able to get fitted up for something more appropriate at a price to match your budget.

J

Thanks Insomniac, I just Googled them and there's one in Nottingham (close enough for me): will have a nosey round their website

A

What's the frame size of your current bike Juno? Always best to try the bike for size before you buy but a rough guide for the frame size required (for a mountain bike) is your inside leg measurement (in inches) minus 14.