Having trouble after honeymoon

M

So, just married and back from my holidays and cannot concentrate at all on phd. Really want to get back into it but can't seem to figure out how. Keep drifting off while reading papers and finding it hard to get back up to speed on what I was working on. At least I've more time for it all now but just tough to get going. Any advice on how to get stuck in again?

Congratulations!

I got married about 3 months ago so know what its like! I would advise getting stuck into a task - even if its made up, reading can be so aimless without an actual piece of writing you are adding to. Maybe you should try and write an article or write up what you have done so far for publication.

Lots of to do lists are necessary and a big old calender to scare you half to death when you realise how short a month actaully is and how much work you have to do!

B

I frequently have to return to the PhD work after breaks due to illness. I find it hard to get into the swing of things too, but get myself up to speed by drawing up lots of to-do lists (everything I can think of doing, from small to big), then picking them off in the order of the least unappealing. That builds up my stamina/confidence, and gets me going again.

M

Thanks. Had a tricky time even coming up with lists of things to do. Have one or two things listed now and meeting supervisor in a day or two who might be able to help spark a little direction. Still tough going. Before I even get to Doing things on the list!

Quote From mathkitty:

Thanks. Had a tricky time even coming up with lists of things to do. Have one or two things listed now and meeting supervisor in a day or two who might be able to help spark a little direction. Still tough going. Before I even get to Doing things on the list!

I have lots - you can have some of mine!

M

Thanks! Though I'm not sure they'd help much, unless your phd is in math too?

No its not thank god - although my other half's is and unfortunately I have to proof read :-(

M

I am so glad I decided to look on the forum to find other people who are getting married / have got married whist doing a PhD.  I am getting married very soon, and it is really starting to bug me. ( Everyone seems to think that I have lost my mind by agreeing to get married whilst in my final year - family circumstances prevented waiting) One thing that is very annoying is that people keep ringing me during the day to chat, and see "how the wedding plans are coming along"?  I am normally very good at compartmentalising my research and home life, but friends and family seem to think that "working from home" and "writing up a chapter" mean that I am not actually busy!  I am having to screen my calls!

I think that my advice on how to get back stuck in to work would be to either; lock yourself in your office with the phone muted and email alerts off - just promise yourself you will do 20 minutes, and see what happens.  Or, if you can bear the Undergrads around, go off to the library and plan to do 2 or 3 hours only.. It seems to work with me, I find I look at my watch and 5 hours has passed ( either that or my laptop runs out of power and I realise I have left the cable at home!)
My other half keeps reminding me that although he is at work for a full day, the amount of distractions from being in an open plan office mean that he only really ever gets about one or two hours done a day; so if I manage 3 hours I am ahead of the game, and not to beat myself up that I haven't sat infront of the computer from 9 to 5!

Sorry for random ramblings!
Hope you get back into a work pattern that works for you.
MatildaL