help me understand ECTS

C

hi
i am a student from Bangladesh studying in 7th semester in eee.
well if anyone can help me to understand ECTS,it would be very helpfull.
In an erasmus mundus application form, i found a field saying "actual ECTS credits....." . as far as i know ECTS is used in countries which are members of european union. As a bangladeshi student what should i put in that field as we do not follow that system.
should i keep that field blank?
If anyone has any idea. it will be really helpfull.

B

Hi,

In Europe we study 30 ECTS each semester with the idea being that 180 ECTS represents a completed 3 year bachelors degree. Many non-european universities have worked out equivalents with their own systems so it might be worth asking your university if they have. If not I think I'd put studying 7th semester of however many semesters your degree programme is. They should be able to work out from that how advanced you are in your studies.

C

Thanks for the reply

see the problem is we do not exercise the ECTS system in this part(Asia) of the world.
I get what u tried to say.but unlike the European university which use ECTS,we do not count 30 credits as one semester.Credit hours varies each semester depending on the courses we take for example in my 1st semester i had to complete something around 21 credits.

so should i put total credits i have completed so far in the gap saying "actual ECTS credits.....". but its the credit in our system not the ECTS credit.

please help, if you can