How much weight have YOU gained since starting you PhD?

S

======= Date Modified 07 May 2010 12:36:27 =======
I know all that PhDSmug, which is why I concluded my post with 'Oh Sweet Self-deception' ;-)

I joined the gym so I can go swimming but it was too costly so I had to stop; I've tried yoga and ended up with an injury because I have constant problems with my joints (especially when it's humid and cold weather), so I finally gave up and decided to attend to my health once this PhD thing is out of the way. But thanks for the reminder; it helps to be bullied into shaping-up :-)

If you get a dog, they make you go out and do exercise, because they paw, nudge and whine until you do :-(

S

Quote From sneaks:

If you get a dog, they make you go out and do exercise, because they paw, nudge and whine until you do :-(

Hey that's a GREAT idea Sneaks! I have a cat and all she does is meaow when she wants food and petting (on my lap); a dog would definitely get me out and about.

W

A dog is a much bigger commitment than a cat, imo, and you have to put a lot more effort into ensuring it has an excellent quality of life. That's why I'd never get any pet for myself. I suppose there's always sea monkeys and gold fish though. Not to digress from the purpose of the thread, but I had tropical fish once but then I bought a crab and it really changed my little ecosystem by eating all the fish.

P

did n't mean to bully :$
just think of me as your Mr Motivator!! ;-)

K

I am halfway in and have put on over a stone :( I exercise every day at the gym or aerobics but struggle to keep the weight off because my bipolar meds are so weight-gain-inducing and I also have a thyroid disorder due to my bipolar medication which makes me put weight on too! Not a good combination! Having said that, I am not overweight, just a bit heavier than I would like to be. I just concentrate on keeping fit and try not to focus too much on my weight. Some of my friends are slimmer than me, but I know I could knock spots off them at the gym! I suppose I do spend most of my working day sitting down so it's not that surprising I've gained weight. Oh, and I loooovvve chocolate! Best, KB

I want to take that chubby dog I see out my window for frisby walks in the park! I wonder how the owner would feel about that..

They've been on the grass verge at least twice already today.

S

That's it! This thread has motivated me to get up & get out! I'm going window-shopping, so lots of walking (and possibly drooling) but no buying. At least it means I'll do some walking and moving (up) Thanks Mr. Motivator!

C

I've dropped a quarter of a stone from 12.5 to 12.25, i suspect this is muscle due to having less time to exercise, Generally my weight has remained at 12.25 for about 2 and a half years now.

D

Between starting my PhD and finishing, I put on 4 stone (not all due to the PhD, a bad relationship didn't help!). I've lost 2 stone of that since though. Now jsut got to shift the rest...