I 'inspired' a research

Hello,

While casually talking to one of my supervisors, I learnt that they're conducting a new research and from the description, it is basically my thesis but applied to a different case study! I can't believe I was not thanked for having inspired this as it is quite obvious: it is not in their field of research, they have not focused on this before, but after having shared my ideas, the supervisor is doing something rather similar! I did not say anything when it was conferred to me, I was so shocked that it was casually dropped like that, without mentioning where the inspiration came from! I realise that because it is applied to a different case study, I cannot accuse them of plagiarism (and I have not published my research yet, but they will do it before me).
How to tackle this sensitive issue?I don't know what I want to achieve from this, but basically, I am mad that they will publish it before me, and I will look like I was the one who was inspired by my supervisor's research! Grrrrr....
Thanks

S

Hi 29200,

If this had happened to me, I would have wanted to ascertain from my supervisor in the first instance what acknowledgement I was going to get in their publication. If it's based on your work, you should get your name on the publication. But I don't know what your relationship with your supervisor is like.

Ultimately, what you want to avoid is having to acknowledge/reference someone else, simply because they nicked your idea and published it first. If it's a novel idea - i.e. you came up with it before ANYONE else - then it is solely your intellectual property and they are therefore guilty of intellectual property theft. Therefore published or not, if you have proof that you were using that method (dated computer files, witnesses such as collaborators or subjects), you would have a case. Though perhaps easier said than done. But the last thing you want is the original quality of your work taken away by a selfish supervisor. So you need to speak to him/her in the first instance.

Failing that, there will be rules on academic integrity in your institution. You might therefore want to take it further up the line. Contrary to what a lot of academics seem to think - i.e. such rules are there to keep PhD students and postdocs in line - it is a two-way street. And if it is already published, you could approach the publisher, as this would doubtless break their rules, too.

Sadly, this sort of thing isn't uncommon, in the "real world" as well as academia. I've come up with ideas and suggestions that have been adopted and passed off as others', including ones that had been poo-pooed to my face. It's sad, because it hardens you and makes you less forthcoming and helpful in the future. Take solace in the idea that YOU are an original thinking idea generator, a talent which will serve you long after your supervisor is a distant memory.

Good luck with it!