I've gone off the snow

O

I have always thought of myself as someone more suited to winter than summer, and I often fantasise about Scandinavia. However, I am really quite p***ed off with the snow's effects this last week.

I was really looking forward to the new term of my MSc, as I absolutely hate my day job - it makes me feel bored and rather lonely. But the first lecture was cancelled due to the weather. Not only that, but a related talk I was going to attend on Monday eve has been cancelled for the same reason, and last night my friends wouldn't come out because of the weather.

I really hate my job and I really love my studies and all things related to them - my studies let me hang out with like-minded people. But this weather means that none of the glorious perks of term-time have been available to me, and conversely, work has been 'business as usual'. Am saving myself from deep gloom by going to the local museum and reading stuff related to my course, but oh woe! when will it end?!? (down)(sprout)(down)

C

I completely agree with you there Ogriv. It was fun at first - I had a huge urge to run around like a headless chicken onto every patch of snow that hadn't been touched or walked on (god that was fun!), but now it's just getting annoying.
Lately I have found that I work much better in the library, but the darn library is closed!!

I can't wait for things to get back to normal now - dreading all the slush to come though. Urghhk!

I Love the snow :-x and like you frequently fantasise about going off to scandanavia, the only thing stopping me being their proficiency on skis that I just haven't been brought up with :$

I think though, that its only annoying here because we haven't got the resources to cope with it, if I did live there, or like my friend in quebec, we would have cars with snow chains and snow ploughs on the front and it would all be quite simple. we would also have triple glazing and cheap electricity to heat our houses etc.

My boiler has been broken for 2 weeks now, so the coldest winter in 30 years wasn't the best time for it to go :-s but we had a great time in the snow today and my dog was too short and had to basically swim through it :-x anyway, I'm still loving it. I am due to drive somewhere on monday though and not looking forward to it quite so much (snowman)(snowman)(snowman)

======= Date Modified 09 Jan 2010 19:58:56 =======
I'm really, really fed up with it because all the pavements where I live ae iced over so walking anywhere is harzardous, just popping out to the shops is a major hassle. Also, I love walking, I walk for 4 or 5 miles at a time and that's just impossible now; I'm starting to get really pissed off that I can't just get up and go for a walk. I'm really lathargic at the minute too, that seems connected to the cold and snow, I'm in hibernation mode so everything is going, very, very slowly.

O

I really do want to enjoy it as I've always been enchanted by winter wonderlands. But we don't really have the infrastructure here for it. I bet if this standstill continues for too much longer it'll start affecting the economy. Then some politician will make a big speech about how life goes on, more rocksalt will magically be produced, and we'll all be told to pull our fingers out. I live in the south-east where it's not too bad, but in other parts of the country they can't really pull their fingers out, as the snow's too thick....

Anyone know if this is set to go on more than a couple more weeks?!?

the weather forecast for my region - south east says it will brighton up on tues and then stay a lot dry and milder all week, so will probably all be gone by tuesday evening! To be honest, its all dripping off my roof now, although snowing at the same time so that's quite confusing, but its definitely a lot more slushier under foot tonight compared to last night when it was very powdery.

S

Am envious! Would love to be snug inside looking at some snow, working away happily! Instead, it's almost 40 degrees C where I am, in a house without air conditioning. We have fans going everywhere, but still doesn't do enough to counter the hot winds which are like the breath of hell, and the omniscient heat. I'm sitting here in front of a fan, only exertion is typing, and am still sweating. My poor dog can barely move, except to slump onto cool tiles in the laundry. Just horrible. (down)

C

I am Northern/ Central Europe right now and the snow here is deep and it hasn't stopped snowing for more then a few hours for about a week! (snowman)