Importance of a first class degree

N

======= Date Modified 19 21 2009 13:21:51 =======
========== This thread had been moved ==========
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
I'm hoping to get an offer for the MSc Psychosocial Studies at Brighton, to start this year. I am currently a final year student at Brighton studying Applied Psychology and Sociology. My grades are fairly good and if I am consistent this semester (inc. dissertation) I could get a first, my average for the marks I have so far is 71 and that counts for half my degree, I am still waiting for my dissertation and semester 2 grades. I really want to get a first, but I am worried about 2 assignments that I handed in today, I was not happy with them and found them a real challenge. I always worry about things I have handed in, but I really don't think they're worth 70%.

I had my heart set on a first but now I'd be happy with a 2.1. The MSc course would need a 2.1 so I should be able to make the grade providing that I get an offer. However, I would ultimately like to pursue an academic career and study for a PhD after the MSc, if I don't get a first is that likely to affect my chances for being accepted onto a PhD, or being eligible for funding? What is the significance of a first for a future career?

Any advice really appreciated, also I am new and although I am looking for advice at the moment I'll try and give some to others as well, but I'm very new to postgraduate life!