In love with my supervisor!

S

well, for a start i would stop meeting him in his flat...!

N

That's true, I was surprised when he invited me to talk there about my thesis, but when I asked friends, they said it's normal. A friend of mine was often invited to hid supervisor.
Isn't it common?
My advisor said, that day he isn't at his office, I did not want to be unpolite. And of course I was curious

J

Well, I have heard of other supervisors having meetings at home, especially if they live on campus or nearby.

Since he's single, I guess there are no moral dilemmas. You just have to worry about yourself. It may work out fine, or it may not.

I'd wait and see what happens. If you're both attracted to each other, perhaps you can hold off till you're finished your PhD and then get together? Will take a lot of willpower though! Or you may be able to get a different supervisor, freeing you up for...well, you know

N

Yes, I thought about getting another supervisor in the case, the attraction is too big...
I actually don't want another, I know his books for years and I like his scientific approach - thats why I met him. And then I found out that we are not only in scientific way on the same page.
My work must be my first priority, so sure is, that I cannot sleep with him and next morning letting him correct my thesis. Thats so awful He would get a bad reputation for sleeping with a student.
But the situation is sooo tempting.

N

And I don't know if there is a woman... He can have a distance relationship, of course. He is new in town.
Omg, I never thought, this would ever happen to me. I was never in love with a trainer, teacher, prof when I was undergraduate. But when I saw him first I was a bit shocked, because he is really the kind of man I like.
But yeah, it's important to stay cool! I will stay coooool now! Thanks for advice. Rational comments are always welcome in my situation ;)

J

LOL.... LOL....

H

Whats so funny?

N

Oh no, I promised myself not to post on this thread again. And not to talk about this ever again. My supervisor... he is so adorable... I posted here in the summer when I got to know him after he came to my university, that there is too much sympathy. The last months I was working with him and we have a great connection. I am just so confused this moment, because we had a meeting in the morning and in the afternoon i met him by accident. And we had a chat in the middle of a crowded hall for more than half an hour without realising all the people around. He is so nice and kind and sexy... We talked about all kind of stuff - working and just other things, we were laughing, joking, sometimes saying the same words in the same moment - I could talk hours and hours with him. Last week I found him looking at me in a way...it made me shiver... he is attracted to me, I feel that. We are not flirting, but there is something in the air when we talk, I cannot describe. He is not the kind of guy to start something with a student I suppose.
I know I will not do anything. I am too reasonable to allow myself this and I am very hard to myself concerning this man. He is much older, he is my supervisor, it is such a cliche, makes me feel like stupid schoolgirl. And he is great to work with, there are so many things I want to learn from him so I will not risk anything.
But THIS is there... I will meet other guys, i will not start to flirt or dress up. I will not make a sad story out of this. But this attraction is there and this afternoon it hit me very hard again. I am not talking about him in this way normally, but I feel so helpless in this moment.

I would imagine that he would not allow anything to happen between you. Therefore, to stop yourself just imagne that huge amount of embarrassment you will feel when he rejects your advances lol (so jane austen). He sounds like a fab supervisor - don't mess it up! ANyway, if it did work out your PhD would go down the drain as all your meetings turned into romantic meetings lol, you would soon be on your 20th year of trying to write up!

N

Oh how right you are! Whatever could happen would be embarrassing - to be rejected -omg to imagine anybody in the institute would know about :$ And thank god our meetings are not romantic :D I am far away from behaving crazy. I imagine in one Indiana Jones movie a girl wrote "i love you" on her eyelid and blinking at her prof. Don't think I am like that :D
He is a fab supervisor. He is clever, caring, supportive, I would be a real idiot to risk anything. But like I wrote yesterday-sometimes after talking to him I feel like a truck drove over me. And then i need some hours to get on the right path again ;)

I would treat it as motivation to get the PhD done - then once you are dr you can move on and do what you want!

J

funny? lol.....some things we read here can get u sad, some makes u laugh. so hey! i laugh... that simple darling 8-)

J

so hey mr or mrs H.. to ur question..whats funny... its simple.... funny to me... lol... merry xmas :-)