Lost in Translation

W

Well, I'm at my hotel, gearing up for my research tomorrow. I am, in fact, the furthest I have ever been away from home. And Glasgow is different, very different from my little hill top village. I had to draw some money out to get a taxi - and it's not even English money. Let me just get my wallet...
It looks like one of them note versions of the Euro... Sir Walter Scott is on one side (looking very angry and demonic) and there's a picture of a Viaduct on the back of it.
I'm also having a couple of issues with communication - nowt serious though. In the taxi, I couldn't understand the nice lady - so I had to keep saying pardon and sorry. The hotel manager is a bit stern as well. I asked him if there's a shop and he said, 'A shop for what? What do you want to buy? There's a wee shop around the corner'.
On the upside, to say it's a budget room - it's not all bad. I have my own shower, soap, 4 towels (4? how many washes do they think I'm going to have?), 3 mirrors (I'm not even vain), an electric kettle, 4 mini cartons of milk and an assortment of tea bags and 4 freeze dried coffee satchets.
Hope my research goes well tomorrow and I get the data that I need.

B

Good luck in Celtic land! I have travelled in the opposite direction, and struggled to exchange Scottish money to something that would be recognised by English shops, and not looked at very very oddly! Having said that, I like Scottish notes. Something a bit different.

Hey Wally, have a great time, Glasgow is one of my favourite places. They have a great independent cinema there, if you have the time. It's an art deco building with a mosaic on the reception floor, stunning.

http://www.gft.org.uk/content/default.asp

Glasgow School of Art is well worth a look too, and it's close by.

Enjoy your tea bags!

A

I love Glasgow too, one of my favourite cities.

A tip - if they ask where you stay, they don't mean the hotel, they mean where are you from!

S

Wally!!!! how nice you are in Glasgow!!!
me love Scottish money too!
Wishing you all the best for tomorrow's research!!!!
goodnight
sleepy satchi

T

Hehe, taxi drivers are always the broadest. Glasgow is indeed a fun city, are you down there for long?
Hope the research goes well (tip: avoid anyone carrying buckfast) ;-)