Making new friends

C

Gumtree and community and miscellaneous sections which sometimes have local groups on there. There is one in my area who meet monthly and go to a local pub. I've not been so can't say anything about the sort of people who you'd meet.

S

Quote From delta:

I should start digging myself out of this rut but it's up to me to be more proactive.

That's the main bit. Just say yes to things, as in everything. Some of it will end up being a bit crap, but you might meet a few good people on others who end up being good friends!

K

Hi I also agree with using special interest groups as oppose to trying sites specifically for developing one to one friendships. There is a great site called meetup.com where people host informal events, which I highly recommend. In my experience, there are normally a few first timers or people going on their own, so I've never felt uncomfortable. Good luck

Q

======= Date Modified 28 Mar 2012 09:09:42 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by moderators - spam*

D

Thanks all. I've arranged to meet a couple people I know slightly over the next week but I will be following up on most or all of your suggestions. This is partly why I wouldn't want an academic career because it's difficult trying to form friendships and create a life when moving around for jobs and it gets harder as you get older. It's just not worth it for me.