miserable with broken arm

D

got blown off my bike last week and broke right arm (am right handed). got surgery at weekend, feeling pretty miserable. jokes please!

A

Oh pooooooooor Wickid!!! Get well soon! Have you got a plastercast that we can 'virtually' sign?

I'm alarmed by your story, have been getting into cycling lately and was debating starting to cycle to work...not sounding like such a good idea now!

Hope you are being spoiled with lots of vegan choc cheesecake! Take care!!

O

shall we start a list of the good things you can still do with your left hand?
1. holding a pint

so sorry to hear that DJWickid. Get well soon.

Nice one oz. Very positive

Things to add to that list:
- Holding the phone to chat to the best mate
- Holding the remote control of the telly
- Having a good excuse not to do boring/annoying stuff

D

ooh, this is a good list, please continue! Have been practicing holding a pint over the last week - most effective pain killer after morphine!

Ann, i still highly recommend the cycling thing, but just not in the wind. I reckon the cost to the environment of my operation will probably be less than if id driven to work all this time

J

Ooh, I remember that windy day. I had a hairy moment where I nearly got blown into a parked car.

If you have any little cousins then I'm sure they'll be delighed to decorate the cast for you. How long does a broken arm take to heal?

D

unfortunately i dont have a cast, its just suspended in a collar and cuff which doesnt feel very secure. they want to see if it would heal itself but after a week it is still bad and painful so they're going to operate and attach it together with a metal plate.

But some good news: just been told that I have now formally passed my PhD, all amendments were fine

P

poor DJW what a horrible thing to happen, I hope it doesn't hurt too much?
You made me think of a book I can't remember the name it's really famous though, it's something like "drawing with the right side of your brain" - but not exactly 100% sure, but it's all about unleashing creativity. It has drawing exercising in it that you are supposed to do some of them with your left hand ( if you're right handed)

Anyway - congrats on Drdom!

F

Sorry about the arm, that is a major pain.

Congrats on the PhD though, it must be a relief for it all to be accepted etc.

O

good for the list
- pass a PhD
- sitting in the sunshine (at least you are really allowed to know)
- ordering Take-away (you have the best excuse ever not to cook)

Congratulations and hope they can fix it!

also, type "broken arm" and "arm cast" into youtube with your left arm, and watch the videos

D

operation this afternoon, im scared

I

We're holding your hand DJ - you'll be fine (as they say, it's 'routine' and they 'do hundreds every week'!)

S

Aaaw, that's too bad. Maybe the team will make a bunch of grapes smiley for you? Surely that would make it all worthwhile? Thinking about you...

Hi DJWickid. Did you have the operation? How are you feeling?