mother's day

T

Argh. Left it late AGAIN!
What to do so the maternal one feels loved and appreciated (allowing for uk posting)?

Anyone had an amazing idea this year that I can steal?

just a card for me - although I don't think my mum really likes it. We never did it before I went away to uni, so it now feels like a 'guilt card' i.e. sorry I never see you card, rather than celebrating her. I think she would much rather that I popped down for the weekend or something. I also have to consider that my bro will never remember and don't want him to look like an idiot when nothing turns up from him.

A

um usually I find that managing to get my 2 brothers to call and say happy mothers day does the trick, i don't forget but they are useless! And it's usually a card, bunch of flowers and heading home for the day to see her! however if you are in a different country, maybe try flower delivery/card/some other actual good idea that I can't think of! :-)

J

if you have left it too late there is always (assuming your mum has email) e-card, e- vouchers etc.
I have this week booked Sunday lunch for my parents, husband and children - that way I don't have to cook!

Sound really corny but a thoughtful card with a few pis of you and your life at the minute (or you and her if you have any recent ones) and maybe a letter telling her what your up to and asking about her will let her now your thinking of her and is cheap. Plus the promise of a lunch for just the two of you whenever you are home next. I'm lucky that I have the time (and am conveniently geographically located) to bring my mum out this weekend - even though she knows it won't be anywhere flash she seems to be really looking forward to it.

T

The pics idea is great Ev, thanks! I may make her a little photoshopped card tmw. I did see her last week as I went down following the death of my great aunt, I'm pretty far away though so i won't be popping back for Sunday itself. My original plan was to make her a box of gluten-free muffins (she's wheat intolerant) and post them down nicely wrapped, I was worried about them getting trashed but I think I'll go for it after all and hope special delivery does its stuff.

T

Quote From sneaks:

just a card for me - although I don't think my mum really likes it. We never did it before I went away to uni, so it now feels like a 'guilt card' i.e. sorry I never see you card, rather than celebrating her. I think she would much rather that I popped down for the weekend or something. I also have to consider that my bro will never remember and don't want him to look like an idiot when nothing turns up from him.

What is it with boys? My brother is nearly 30 and we're still kicking his arse every time a birthday comes round.

C

Just a card. I sometimes send my mother flowers on her birthday - but other then that it is rarely more then a card. If I see the parents are Christmas I will bring a present. Myself and my siblings rarely if ever send each other cards and certainly not presents. My parents have always told me to save my money and not bother buying them things because we would be embarassed not to. They would hate to see their children spend money they don't have on things. Also, because we rarely see each other none of us no what we really like anyway, so anything more then a card is a real problem.

But then, we aren't a close family so it might be different for others. I do think however that for mother's day a card is enough.

M

What a lovely idea Teek of the muffins. The pics and letter sounds great too. I'm going to make a handmade card, just like when I was in school. I sometimes think my mum would have preferred if I hadn't grown up :) added bonus of cheapness and real thought. Will visit over the weekend too.

I started crocheting a little shrug for her in December to have ready for mothers day but it's taking forever so have abandoned that for her birthday (july) and started a scarf which i *hope* to have ready on time. Also scarf made for mother-in-law. I like crochet presents because they give me an excuse to buy the wool and enjoy the stress-busting craft!

Husband's mother will really appreciate a visit more than anything else so will try fit that in too. Difficult as they live a few hours away by public transport with connections etc.