Off Topic: Help with Job Searching/ Graduate entry into research?

T

I expect the fact that you are looking to do something very specific is part of the reason you are finding it difficult to get a PhD. I didn't really care what the topic of my PhD was as long as it was something I was vaguely interested in so I just applied for local unis that had advertised positions. I think if you keep trying you will eventually get there... at least that's what I will be telling myself when I start applying for postdoc positions!

J

I am looking at neuroscience ones as well though and chemistry ones. Just that a LOT of the PhDs is in psychical chemistry at the moment.

S

Guess I'll have to keep trying for the moment, but this unemployment thing is pretty crushing at times. How the heck do people stand this for years at a stretch?

At least I'm getting fitter, plenty of time for cycling now!

J

Been 3 years unemployed as of now and I am doing a nightclass and did my MSc and coursera freebie courses

S

Quote From JanineG:
Been 3 years unemployed as of now and I am doing a nightclass and did my MSc and coursera freebie courses

Ouch, that's quite foul luck. I've been out for about 6 weeks and I'm already stupidly bored.

S

Yay, got my masters result back: Merit grade [B+]. Happy with that, time to get back to job/PhD hunting.

J

You'll get a job before me as I have only a measily ordinary MSc (1% off a merit in the exam)

I am sick an tired of being unemployed and no one will offer me experience in a lab!

S

I've actually gotten a 3-month placement at my local uni in the neurogenetics lab with the chance of a job at the end of it. Guess I wasn't unemployed for so long after all.

Janine, are you just looking at local places, or are you actively hunting down labs that deal with the area you wan to work in? It was pure luck that my local place is both doing the research that I'm interested in AND looking for help. I got involved by emailing and asking the supervisor in question.