OMG I am old, what is this 'nu' rave?

P

I received a CD gift through the post this morning that claims to be 'nu' rave.

Rave is rave surely?

I am devastated that the scene of my youth is being reclaimed and renegotiated. It is wrong.

J

Urgh, I remeber rave. Everyone wore their pajamas (or something that looked remarkably like pajamas) to school discos and pretended to be on acid. One particular non-uniform day (how I dreaded those) I think I was the only non-pajamed person there.

K

OK, here is my interpretation (make what you will - I am merely a bemused 30something!)

I thought Nu Rave was a seemingly indie band that attracted a rave following and had echoes of rave behaviour in their audience (glo sticks, etc). A band called The Klaxons have been touted as Nu rave
(but they sure as hell don't sound like the rave tracks that I used to listen to!)

S

Like nu-metal (happened (briefly) a few years ago). It's just something that calls itself metal (not necessarily justifiably)...but it's bad! From what I remember it's typically played by kids for the kids who are too young to remember the first time.

J

Never take anything seriously if it's deliberatly spelt wrong. "Nu", my arse.

D

Maybe Neo-Rave would have been more grammatically correct whilst still retaining some mystique?
Did anyone else see Erasure on the news this morning...goodness they look old and I can't believ they have been around 20 years...I saw them in concert as ateenager...scary!!!!!!

P

Its not just Erasure - Kadgagoogoo are back with a new single.
Llimar, he of the ultimate mullet & too shy shy hush hush eye-to-eye lyrics...