Online Storage Back-Up...Recommendations

M

Just for anyone who isn't aware (probably everyone is), but it's good to keep back-ups of your files online (in case someone nicks all your gear!).

I've use a freebie BTvault account, but a friend just pointed me in the direction of www.idrive.com which is offering 2GB of online storage (I don't know anything about this company so check it out before uploading sensitive data).

Does anyone know any other freebie storage offers? BT now charges at least £4.99 per month (daylight robbery).

H

======= Date Modified 02 Dec 2008 13:11:51 =======
Windows SkyDrive gives you 5GB online free, but it's a bit annoying cos you can't move docs/folders around once you've uploaded them. Better as an archive than a working platform.

J

I use a thing called Carbonite. It is the same company that gave us winzip so is very trusted. My bro in law is a programmer and swears by it. You pay around $40-50 a year (which is about £25-30, look out for deals on the web). The great thing about it is that it runs quietly in the background and when you ammend anything at all on your comp it automatically updates it on the server. Even if you change the directory of a file it will do this. Also just say you by mistake (and this happened to me, but thank God I had Carbonite by then) you copy over a file or save it with the wrong name and write over another word doc (as you can easily do when you have so many with similar names, eg. Methodology v1, v2 etc), it will give you the option of downloading recently backed up versions.

Basically it is great. If you don't mind spending the money I would get it. I wouldn't usually spen the cash, but I just thought, if I lose all of my hard work I will be royally screwed!

Oh and also it is unlimited! My bro in law has all of his songs and movies backed up, around 55GB!

M

Thanks for the replies.

BTvault is too rudimentary...a basic click and drop procedure.

Carbonite looks very good! I like the idea that is just runs in the background. I may sign up to this service.