Random question- how much sleep do you need?!

D

My colleagues are amazed that I only get about 6 hours sleep a night and maybe 8 at the weekend if I feel like a bit of a lie in. It's enough for me!

K

Hey, I guess we're all different! I go through phases with my sleep- for a year I only got between 4-6 consecutive hours of sleep per night, and couldn't figure out what was wrong (I felt rubbish and kept falling asleep over my desk) then I got back from holiday about 6 or 8 weeks ago and am now enjoying a good 7-8 hours all of a sudden! I feel better for it, but if I lie in at the weekends I feel pretty shoddy. Ah well, we all have different needs, I am concentrating on being understanding with my boyf! KB

Z

A friend of mine is actually conducting sleep research and says that 8+ hours is oversleeping and is not good. The optimal is 7-8. The only way way 9-10 is ok is if that what you naturally sleep. But on average, 7-8 is optimal and 9-10 is oversleeping which is unhealthy. If you listen to your body, it'll tell you what is good. So if he is forcing the 9-10, that is probably too much. It is also very important to get the same amount every day. Getting 6 one day, 10 another, and then 5, followed by 8 is not good. It's far better to get 6 hours every consistently than to shake it up.

Hope this helps.