rant: why people ruin library books with their notes and highlights etc.

H

lol 404 were they expensive tights?

What a random thing to use as a book mark!

yes, a bit random. I was in two minds about confessing that here . They were good tights, that's why I wanted them back

I

dead insect reminded me - I found a bogey once. Not joking.

that's also yuk insomniac
I found a paper clip in bread once but that has nothing to do with books, so I won't tell you that

C

I work in a large university library, and last summer one of my colleagues found what can be politely called 'a fully utilised French letter' between the pages of a book. Let's just say, the head librarian was in contact with the very embarassed borrower.

I

We've found a winner!

P

ewwwww thats gross. I picked up a book via inter-loan from the british library today and it made me think of this post as the book is covered in some one else's notes. So rude.

However this thread has inspired me and I have decided when I send the book back I am going to insert a treasure map & some sort of clue between the pages.

I

LOVE your idea - maybe we could start something! The prize would have to be real, something small, like a lolly-pop. The craze will spread throughout all libraries and you, pea, will be credit for its birth...

P

Yes, love it insomniac! And if everyone did it, it would be brill -like a postgrad forum 'masquerade'!

http://www.treasureclub.net/publichunts/masquerade/index.html
I just about remember masquerade because I am in my 30's.. but remember it on the news and stuff when I was a kid & thinking it was soooooo cool.

I

Oh my goodness, it would have to be slightly simpler than that (to give people like me a chance!) - and why can I remember NOTHING about the 'phenomenon'? (I'm 32).

Could we build something into the plan that let us know when 'treasures' had been discovered? C'mon all you code/puzzle whizzes!