Referencing: hyphens, en dash, em dash :(

A

Can anybody pleeeeease clarify, when referencing (Harvard style) should page ranges in the bibliography be separated with a hyphen, an en dash or an em dash?

I am currently re-formatting a 98-page bibliography from 40 different papers and feel I am going slowly mad :-(

A

Bump :-)

======= Date Modified 16 Jul 2012 10:28:16 =======
I used 'en-dash' (the short dash) to separate numbers in the bibliography.  The 'en-dash' is used for a closed range of values.

I used 'em-dash' (the long dash) to indicate a break of thought in a sentence (subconsciously, as Word converted to correct dash whilst I was typing away and one of my supervisors picked up on it).

I used a semi-colon (;) if I was going to sub clause a sentence, however, some people don't like this.  However, my second supervisor did and I just did as he said even though I didn't feel comfortable with this either.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

A

Thanks Ian

I do/did the same as you but it's amazing the variations when confronted by different authors.

S

I so glad to see this clarified - I've asked everyone over the years what the different dashes were for and how to sort them and nobody knew! The only time it was mentioned in my work was when one dash was short, and another long, and I was told to try and make sure that they were the same so it looked right ;-) I've only JUST worked out how to get the dash to go long when I want it to - you really do learn something new every day :-)