Room 101 (grumpy old postgrads)

J

Five things that would go into your Room 101? Here's mine:

1. Girly sneezes (girls who try to make their sneezes sound cute: it's a big snotter, you can't make it sound attractive so quit trying).
2. Child actors who can't act (the Zafira advert, grrr)
3. Nuneaton train station

Oops, engineer here to service my MS. Back later.

1) People who reply to the questions on this forum with "ask your supervisor".

2) Neighbours who listen to things like "Now 2001" loudly at 7 am in the morning

3) People drawing or writing on library books (as discussed before)

4) Russell Brand

5) People who call themselves nerds (not the real nerds)

S

(in no particular order)

1. buses - they come 20 minutes late for weeks, then a new driver gets the route and leaves five minutes early...

2. library computers just having switched to new version of word mid-thesis. It's really quite difficult to get used to!

3. items that swing when you wear them (mp3 player, a particular necklace)

4. pipes in lab that have condensation which drips everywhere on a bad day (including on me - horrible cold drips down back of neck ). Not a pleasant working environment!

5. the people (I suspect it's more than one) who don't a certain cold tap in the ladies' off properly. It's just utter laziness, and I feel obliged to turn it off for 'them' any time I'm in. Have often thought of leaving a note.

S

"don't TURN a certain cold tap..."

S

oh, and people asking me have I nearly finished, how much have I written (do you want a word count???!!!!!) and what am I going to do next... ('I should be finished by the end of the year', 'well I've written lots of notes' and 'nothing')

T

1. The start of a new toilet roll. They glue it or something and it never comes off nicely, but instead you end up pulling off small bits of tissue, and end up wasting loads until you get it properly.

2. Packaging for bacon, that has a corner you're supposed to pull that is impossible to seperate.

I totally agree with you coastman

I must add one more to the list:

- The labels inside the clothing garments. Grrrrrrrrr

K

oh yes, people are always asking me if have I started writing up yet! I am only 18 months into my PhD..give me a chance!

J

He...thanks for the replies. To finish:

4. Jimmy Carr (why is he on TV?)
5. The office "wit" who feels the need to chirrup "Bless you!" every time you sneeze. Which, when you have a hayfever fit, is every two minutes..."Bless you! Bless you! Bless you! Bless you! Bless you! Bless you!" ad nauseum.

lol juno.

T

Haha I agree with you on the Jimmy Carr thing.. I don't find him at all funny and he has appalling comic timing.

1. People who don't acknowledge when you hold a door open or something for them

2. Drivers who don't indicate properly

3. Letting agents who say 'Check our website' when you ring up to enquire about properties they have.. Then when you do check the website and ring up again only for them to tell you 'Oh no that house has gone'

4. The fact I can't seem to find Cadburys Wispas in the shops anymore

5. People who choose to come to the UK to study then spend all the time being negative and scathing about how bad it is here (Although this is mainly directed at one girl in my research group lol)

Rant over lol.. It's been a hard day!

P

1. Charity Hawkers - my all time no 1 bug bear / bengali tea boy.
2. Bono
3. Polystyrene packaging
4. Girls who put multiple FHM wannabe / readers wives type pictures of themselves on myspace + talentless musicians requesting 'friendship'.
5. The complete works of Dido & James Blunt.
6. Starbucks / Costa et al - should NOT be classed as coffee.
7. Changing my duvet - the worst household task ever ever - I always leave it for b.f
8. Dreadful musicals that should not be allowed -we will rock you, wicked etc
9. My hourly rate of pay minus the mountain of marking undergraduate work that takes 2 weeks to complete
10. Cheap booze & alcopops - eeeeewwwwwww!

P

+ Nottingham town center ( sorry anyone from Notts)

People who labour the northern / southern thing....so boring.

S

1) people who use up things in the lab and dont replace them so putting me back days!
2) people who use up things in the lab and dont replace them then yell at me as if i did it in front of others
3) drivers who cant follow simple lanes on the road and then beep at you when they almost hit you
4) shop assistants that chat with friends as they are serving you, rude!
5) being asked what i want to do when i finish 'college' how many times do i have to explain PhD!