Speciality a (in under-grad) to b (in post-grad)

H

======= Date Modified 06 57 2010 18:57:25 =======
Hi everyone,

I am sure most of you may have encountered something like that. I am a computing student and completed my under-grad degree in Computing. I like Computing (programming, networking etc. except MATHS). My problem is I would like to pursue further studies (pretty much honest, I love academia and just can't get outta it).

Going to post-grad studies in Computing makes sense since my under-grad was a Computing degree. However, my problem is; it is OK for me to do Computing in Phd but i myself fancy more to psychology or philosophy. To be frank, I would like to dive into either one of both specialty (psychology or philosophy) but everyone says in terms of career Computing is better after my post-grad studies. Some suggested that I have never learned nor done anything regarding to those majors (psychology or philosophy), how would I even be able to write a proposal to get a scholarship. TRUE and I am sort of lost.

Some of my friends say PHD ? Gezz that's Permanent Head Damage. Don't go for something you dun love since you will be doing that for like 4 to 6 years. Go for something you love as it will make you feel better studying.

Can anybody help me out of this ? I am not asking for help to make a decision for me but based on your experience please answer the following questions.

1. You think I'd stand a fair chance of getting the scholarship (fund) and getting into the program if I go for either one of philosophy or psychology ?

2. In terms of career, which would be better ? Computing or the other two I mentioned.

3. Do you have experience something like that ? If so , please share it here and really appreciated.

Thanks all. I know it sounds a bit confusing but please help me out of this.

B

I think you'd be very lucky to go from Computing to psychology or philosophy without a sound undergraduate training in them. They are difficult subjects, and you'd have no grounding whatsoever in them. It's quite common to go from Physics and the like to Computing, but not to switch from Computing towards other subjects like you've cited.

I went from computing first degree to history Masters and PhD, but started from scratch again and did a history degree with the OU, though I could do it very quickly because my first degree allowed me to ump straight into second year. So then when I went on to apply to postgraduate study I could show I had a thorough grounding in the humanities subject.

So, no, I don't think you'd get funding without proving your ability in the new area.

Computing is the better degree for job purposes. Psychology is incredibly competitive, with lots of highly trained (from undergraduate level) people fighting for a limited number of posts. And philosophy is like other humanities subjects and would be difficult to find many jobs in.

Could you maybe do a course with the OU to see if you like philosophy or psychology?

C

You can do conversion courses to Psychology, usually they're one year masters courses (I think). i know one person who did experimental psychology masters with a first degree on medical sciences and another who converted with a degree in maths. The first went on to do a psychology PhD a year later so it can be done.

Computer programming is a great skill for psychology as a lot of experiments are computer based and this is something that is not covered at undergrad level. One thing that stands out is you say you don't like maths, you would be expected to use statistics in psychology. Though I appreciate maths is quite broad. I could never get pure maths but (kinda) like statistics.

Can't say anything about philosophy though, or really comment on job prosects, but hope this helps a bit.

C

Rather than embarking on a PhD (or MSc then PhD) in a completely different area to your first degree, have you thought about combing your interest in psychology with your existing knowledge (and enjoyment of) computing?

Areas such as computing for education, or numerous topics in Human Computer Interaction can be pretty varied and interdisciplinary, plus relevant to industry employers as well as academia.

B

A conversion Masters sounds like a good idea, though be warned that quite a lot of them expect at least first year undergraduate Psychology study in your first degree. You'd be looking for one that assumes no background knowledge at all.

I thought about suggesting a Computing/Psychology crossover, but I have the feeling that most options in that line might veer more towards the Psychology end of the spectrum than Computing.

D

Hi,

Rather than looking to change disciplines specifically have you looked into something more inter-disciplinary where there would be a major cross-over with your undergraduate? Science and Technology Studies while neither philosophy nor psychology as such certainly draws on both of these disciplines.

H

Thanks all. It really helps me to come up with a decision. I was having a really tough time making up my mind whether to follow my passion or just keep on continue with what I have already started. Doing M.sc first with psychology or philosophy sounds interesting but I guess I will just do Computing. Based on what everyone suggested, I guess it is better that I just finish what I have started.

B

A PhD is very hard to complete, especially if your heart isn't fully in it. If computing really isn't your passion maybe you should look at switching, even if it will be hard.

Good luck!

A

I'd say unless it's what you truly want to do, then don't stick with computing. There is absolutely no point starting a career in something you know you don't want to do. I started my PhD knowing it was similar to what I wanted but not quite, and now I know it's not what I want to do, and once I finish (hopefully submitting in 2 weeks) then I will to go back to the drawing board and start building up experience for what I actually DO want to do.

Plus, you have time now to go and start a masters or find some sort of interdisciplinary way into psychology or philosophy. It's never too late to change direction, when my dad was 50 he decided he wanted to be a counsellor and off he went and did his degree and his training and has been working as a counsellor for years now and absolutely loves it, wishes he'd started it years ago. My uncle has worked in a clothes shop for all his life really until 3 years ago when he decided it was about time he went and did the social work course he always wanted to do and now he's graduated and absolutely loves what he's doing now, he's like a new person. A friend of mine also doing a PhD started a masters in marine biology after training as a nurse, had absolutely no experience of biology or field work beforehand, and is now doing an ecology PhD.

Yes psychology is insanely competitive, you almost have to have a masters and PhD to be even allowed into the building it's that bad. And philosophy isn't exactly the best choice career wise unless you want to be an academic I'd imagine. But before you decide to stay with computing simply 'to finish what you've started' I think you should go talk to careers advisors, find out exactly how it works trying for a masters or straight into phd, exactly what training or qualifications you need to do the job you want, and then decide.