speculative CVs

Ok, there are no jobs out there in my field. I'm thinking of sending my CV off to people just to make them aware i'm looking, in case there are any informal processes going on i.e. "oh we'll just get someone in without advertising"

How do I go about structuring an email?? - what do I say!?

D

They can't "just get someone in without advertising" I'm afraid. Having said that, many companies do often take speculative CVs, some don't - there's no hard and fast rule. I sent out many speculative CVs when I was looking, but the only ones I heard back from were from companies with specific job adverts and I don't know of anyone who has got a job from a speculative CV. Not to be negative, but I know for example my company doesn't take speculative ones as they get so many people apply for the specific positions they advertise, they don't have time for non specific applications.

However, just set it out like you would if you were sending a covering letter for a specific job. So explain who you are, what you've done recently (i.e. your PhD and what area it is in), what sort of work you are looking to do, any particular skills you can bring. Treat it no differently to an application for an actual job.

Thanks Dan. Unfortunately in my field, it seems like many jobs go without being advertised - these aren't ones at universities, but in consultancies. Often we, as university lecturers, are asked to identify the best students in the class who will then be asked if they want to apply etc. and recently I've heard of about 3 jobs (after the jobs gone) that have been filled using this approach, but I find out too late and haven't had a chance to be considered.

I was thinking of doing this for supply-lecturing or guest-lecturing on the other courses, as well as associate work with consultancies.

B

======= Date Modified 24 Jul 2010 13:10:03 =======
Sneaks - sounds like a good idea and shows you in a positive light - i.e. that you're the sort of person who takes initiatives, creates opportunities for her/himself and is proactive about her/his career.
My only advise would be - if you haven't thought of this already - is where you're sending these 'cold-call' emails, ensure that you include about 2-4 sentences emphasising the following:

- Why this particular institution/consultancy?
- What have they to offer you that would constitue a natural/perfect next step in your career? and,
- What do you have to offer them (why your skills and qualifications are just perfect for them)?

That way, it doesn't look like you've just randomly picked a few institutions but that you've really done some research and cherry-picked the ones that are a good match for you and for them. Employers often want to know 'why you' - i.e. what they will benefit from hiring you and not someone else. A few well-structured and strong sentences highlighting this and answering it will make the email sound less like a 'cold-call' email and will give the impression that it is purposeful.

Also, they'll probably read your email quickly so you want it to be short but to the point. Perhaps start by stating (in one sentence) why you're writing to them (where you've heard about them, why you think they're grea - just don't over do it! - and why/how you'd like to be involved in what they do); then who you are (your specific skills that match their requirements or the nature of work they do); and finally why they can provide an ideal work environment for you (be specific and sound like you've done your home work and know a little about their company/institution). By this stage the reader will be probably be interested to hear more about you so mention that you've attached a CV for their consideration, that you very much look forward to hearing from them and that if they have any questions they shouldn't hesitate to contact you, etc.

I've seen some excellent templates online, though it was a long time ago and I can't remember where exactly. It took some time to Google and find good ones and I end up doing a 'collage' of a few templates so as to personalise it.

Let us know how it goes if/when you get a response. Good luck! (up)

Thanks! I reckon I'll only send my cv around to people I know, but its quite a small field, everyone knows everyone, so hopefully if I just get it out there that I'm looking then at least I might be informed of job opportunities. (up)

A

I've been thinking about doing this myself Sneaks, my supervisor said he'd send on my CV to a few people he knows but I'm finding it really hard to tailor a CV for jobs I don't even know I might be considered for! I've got too much to fire it all down on 2 pages so I'm not sure how to go about putting in the most important stuff cos I don't know what will be important...I guess I'm just worried that a broad ranging CV will look crap compared to one that's been specifically targeted for a job...hmmmm. Good luck!