Studying with Aspergers

A

On the off chance I'm not the only one here......

Does anyone else have Aspergers and trying to negotiate Uni modules without telling anyone?

I'm not doing well at all and between my perfectionism, strive set on max full time and lack of clarity from "them" (a.k.a. lecturers) I'm sinking fast.

Anyone else in the same situation who can offer some advice?

K

Hi Anne! Are you an undergraduate or postgraduate? I don't have Aspergers so I can't offer you advice from a personal perspective, but as a PhD student I do some teaching, and I am aware that we have several students with Aspergers on our undergraduate course who are doing well in their studies, so I know it can be done. The other thing I will say is that I suffer from a mental illness (bipolar disorder), and I have found it very helpful to be open with my tutor and supervisors about this- I was a bit worried about telling them because of the stigma surrounding this sort of illness, but they have been nothing but supportive and helpful, and they are aware now of the best way to handle things if I am having difficulties. I also see a university counsellor and a university mental health advisor who have been able to provide both emotional and practical support- I think most universities have this sort of service. I don't know if you feel able to talk to anyone, but I have found that there is a lot of support out there if you speak to the right people...might be worth a try? All the best, KB.

E

Well, I agree with KB. I think that you should tell your uni. They maybe able to offer some help, or even people to talk to. I don't think there is any stigma attached to any difficulties a student may have.
Personally, I don't have Aspergers but I have been working with young children (much younger that you) who have it, so in a way I know what you are talking about....
Best of luck,
Emmaki

A

Hello KB and Emmaki

I'd really not say at what stage of my studies I am at as I think some of my lecturer' s come over here.

Your advice is totally opposite from our web site.  Ours is tell no one - ever. I think it is a bit one sided so thought I'd get a perspective from this side of the fence.

All I really want is my supervisor to know that changing my routine without consulting me and not being clear in what she is asking for in written work is causing me major problems. 

Thank you both for your replies and may try sending off an anonymous email to someone and see what comes back.

C

I don't have asparagus but heard it goes well with salmon and a parsley sauce.

P

Quote From cleverclogs:

I, like many others here, had decided to not engage with you, but this above - have you no human sensibilities at all, dear Cleverclogs?

W

Quote From cleverclogs:

Asperger's? Asparagus? Huh! Did you see what he did there!? That would explain the really high IQ. Be careful Bug and don't engage it; you're playing with literary fire.;-)

A

Thank you for taking the time to post Cleverclogs but most Aspies prefer hollandaise sauce rather than parsley on their salmon. 
;-);-)

C

======= Date Modified 24 Nov 2009 22:52:47 =======

Quote From Anne1:

Thank you for taking the time to post Cleverclogs but most Aspies prefer hollandaise sauce rather than parsley on their salmon. 

;-);-)

Haha good one. (up) Yeah hollandaise sauce seems less offensive to 'human sensibilities' too.

S

Hello Anne1

I don't have Aspergers, but I do know of a couple of friends who have managed to get through uni with it (and one who didn't...) Obviously I don't know which uni you are at, but the people I've studied with did speak to the support team and found nothing but help and understanding from our lecturers - once people know you have Aspergers (or any other ASD condition - my son has aspergers and dyspraxia) then they can work with you to make things easier for you. Its not a question of giving you an easy ride or making huge allowances - that would be patronising in the extreme - but if they know that things like changing you schedule etc is going to cause you issues they will do their utmost to smooth it out so that you can concentrate on your studies and fulfil your true potential.

I'm not sure why your website says that you should tell no-one, ever, its almost as if its trying to hide who you are and there is nothing to hide - you know that :-) The friend who didn't make it through did hide it - I only found out a few months back when, after a lot of struggling and dropping out she told me when she found out about my son - its such a shame. She is bordering on genius but just couldn't cope with a few aspects that could have been sorted. She's now planning on going back having been given advice by another of the aforementioned friends and this time its in the open and I'm sure she'll produce some really astounding work.

See what you can sort out - p/g or u/g study is hard enough as it is, and if there are a few things that can make a huge difference then do it and then you can concentrate on your work and not on the issues :-)

A

Thank you Stressed.  I am getting closer to making the right decision to ask for support. Unfortunately we suffer from analysis paralysis big time  :-)

My other website does recommend I get support as well. I took some advice too literally - it's another thing we can't fathom out.

So much for genius 8-)