Subject Change - Help!

M

Hi, I'm currently a BA History & Archaeology graduate looking to do a masters. However, I'm particulartly interested in going down the psychology/philosophy/science route.. Is it possible to change topics like that, or would I have to go back and do a related BA in order to follow this pathway? Any help/advice would be much appreciated! Thankyou. (up)

S

Yes, just apply for a masters in whatever you like, and explain that the Indiana Jones thing didn't work out, and now you want to try your hand at something new, like philosophizing on something or other, understanding the workings of the human mind and/or having a dabble in a science lab.

E

Hi MudhOney.
Is there a Master's course at the university you currently attend that you are interested in? If so you could always pop along and ask them what they suggest. If you decide you are really keen you may be able to change some of your modules which will give you a better grounding in Psychology or Philosophy in preparation for your Masters. You may not need it to be accepted but I have seen a few students come unstuck when they realise there is a healthy selection of statistics in Psychology. An undergraduate module in this area will really pay off later.

Good luck.

S

Wow supergenius you've been in a bit of a strop haven't you?

It is perfectly legitimate to change subject areas, especially at Masters rather than PhD level. You may need to do some additional reading at the start to make sure you are on top of things, but most unis will be happy to take you as long as you show real motivation (so you do need to be far clearer on what you actually want).

My undergrad was a mix of language (an obscure one), literature and history, my MA was International Relations, the dissertation for which ended up being in ethical and political philosophy (and yes I got a distinction for it). My PhD is now political philosophy with sociology and human geography, and I am doing very well at it. So if people are patronising enough to say you can't successfully move disciplines, then they are being rather narrow-minded (rather sad from a postgraduate)

S

======= Date Modified 18 May 2009 10:32:22 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Play nice! If it annoys you, you don't have to reply!
PGFT

www.findamasters.com