Tell me something helpful...

A

Quote From rosy:

By the way coastman, very wise advice there... I did vote for you as helpful but you already had a star! What you have to do to get a second star remains a mystery...

Hi Rosy, I think there is a post on here about it.

Each star is harder to reach than the previous star. We haven't told you exactly how hard, but I'm sure if you get helping people you'll get there eventually.

Adam

L

Quote From soarous:

J.M. Barrie the author of Peter Pan was the first to coin the female usage of the name 'Wendy'.

Yes I'm watching Hook.

interesting! did you also see "finding neverland" with Johnny Depp, that's a nice movie (up)

S

Adam you have five stars...and by the use of word "we" are you one of those who have the super control in assigning stars ;)

T

Did you know that despite the term 'sweating like a pig'.. Pigs actually don't have sweat glands so they can't sweat

R

Quote From tricky:

Did you know that despite the term 'sweating like a pig'.. Pigs actually don't have sweat glands so they can't sweat

Is there a sweatier creature that one should suggest instead, for anyone using that term? Assuming you want to use an animal comparison to emphasise excessive human perspiration, of course... though I'm starting to think pigs acquired a rather negative public image, somewhere along the line.

T

The only other animal that I can think of that sweats like a human is a horse

Most mammals have sweat glands but they are not as widely distributed around the body as in humans. Dogs for example only sweat through their paws and loose heat through panting.. Birds, reptiles and amphibians don't sweat.

R

Hippos sweat apparently... according to this webpage hippo sweat can be used as sunscreen!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/animals/newsid_3751000/3751679.stm

Gross...

R

Have you any idea why there are relatively more pig-related unsults and not-very-polite turns of phrase, compared with other animals? It doesn't seem any fatter/messier/less attractive/definitely not sweatier than anything else to me, and goodness knows where the abusive police connection came from.

J

Really? I like to think I'm an animal lover, but I find pigs repulsive. Can't go near them.

W

Pigs are extremely intelligent and resourceful animals. In fact, agriculture in the UK would be in a sorry state without them. And just imagine the unthinkable: no pigs = no bacon = terrible! Oh, and you have to admit that piglets are adorable.

R

Hi Walminski when I vote for you as 'helpful' nothing happens... but I did try to give you a star! Worked for everyone else...

J

Well, they may be smart but they're pig-ugly.

Tell me Miss Piggy isn't the stuff of nightmares?

S

Can I have another star? I don't know how I can be helpful though!!

T

======= Date Modified 27 Aug 2008 14:56:11 =======
I think one of the reasons pigs are seen as being dirty etc. is because they roll around in mud.. But they do that to cool down as they can't sweat lol

They are very clever animals and unfortunately the number of pig farms in the UK is rapidly decreasing thanks to various disease outbreaks and supermarkets controlling the meat market. It is just not as viable a business anymore which is sad. In the UK farming has strict welfare controls now which the farmer has to foot the bill for, and unfortunately the supermarkets don't account for that when they buy livestock from farmers. As a result farmers get priced out of the market competing with cheap imports from countries where the welfare is not as good as the UK. Buy british I say :-)

R

Yay it worked sillybilly! You must have had a few votes from other people too... it takes 1 vote to get the first star, I am guessing maybe 10 to get the second?