The 4 star VIP thread!

S

Ha ha, Eska is quite right!!! I too remember Bug's pleading for stars - now she's a big superstar she no longer remembers the good old days when she too scrabbled in the gutter for stars... sigh... I'm sure that fame and stardom hasn't changed her, but you do worry :-p he he he

P

you guys!!! I neevr asked for stars except like once or twice!! ;-)

I am the top star top star top star yeah yeah yeah yeah!!! Woohoooo!!! check the list of stars I'm the top star!!!

Well Bug I can remember your campaign to collect sympathy stars because you didn't think you had enough when you were the young ingénue of the forum, and we all handed them out like sweeties to kid on Halloween; and now look at you: lording it like King of the castle!

Have you ever seen the film 'All about Eve' with Bette Davis? A very true portrayal of a ruthless rise to the top, very true indeed...

P

heeeheee :-):$8-):-x:p

Can I have another one please please pretty please??

M

Those of you with lots of stars: just remember that the biggest stars can turn into black holes :p

(An astronomy PhD-ling will no doubt tell me that's rubbish!  In fact, anybody who knows more about astronomy than me - which isn't a lot - will probably tell me that's rubbish.)

On balance, I think one star is just about the right number to have. :-)

W

Quote From sneaks:

Can I have another one please please pretty please??

Sneaks, it's not that I don't want to give you another star, the computer says "no!" It says I have already voted for you (so given you a star) and that I can only vote for a user once. I know how you feel about getting stars, I've been there, it's worse than being addicted to any illegal drug you care to mention. Sneaks, I think it's detox time for you - this insatiable addiction to stars could lose you your PhD and career. I'm going to tell my bouncers not to let you in the 4 Star VIP Room for a while, to keep you away from the Blue Nun and White Lightning. I think it's rather merciful that you don't have 4 stars. I doubt you could handle the pressure like PhDbug and I!:p

W

Quote From phdbug:

heeeheee :-):$8-):-x:p

Thought my Celebdar was going off! High five bug! What's the difference between us and normal PhD students? 4 stars! Muahahahaha!

a ha! now I start my evil plan for 5 stars mwahahahaha

P

Ahhrrgh.

These days they hand these out too easily.

These young brats come and prance around a little and people give in to their demands and they wear crowns.

Now, in my days, when hard work no harm meant, we strove. We worked hard, and slaved and toiled to earn every corner of every one of those stars.

I remember, from my early days of 4 stardom, how proud I felt to be one of the only 2 to get four stars, even now, my eyes glisten with tears at the memories...the memories of my blood and sweat which gave my exhausted morale a boost at the end of an epic struggle.

But today's pony-riding, mobile-swishing youngsters, they get what they want.

sigh.

W

I know how you feel Bug, cos I deserve my stars too. I don't know who Sneaks mugged to get her extra star, but some poor forumite is lying around in a gutter somewhere, battered and bruised - and minus a star. I think this thread has become an allegory for the hyperinflation of grades in the higher education system. Back in my day, you really had to work for a 2.1 or 1, but now it seems like everyone is getting them, just like this star business. Next, the star system on this forum will probably be sponsored by Coca Cola and you'll be able to buy them.

S

Well I'm perfectly content with my 3 stars - I'm happily indulging in the Blue Nun and White Lightening on offer here and suddenly stars don't seem to matter that much..... in fact I think that those with 4 stars have achieved their fame through ruthless canvassing. Personally I reckon that they pm the new kids here with their no stars, or one star and 10 posts and tell them that if they click on their names as helpful forumites then they will assist them with their reading/writing etc... hmmmm vice and corruption on the board - tragic....

*considers contacting coco-cola and seeing the price list for a 4th star* :-p

P

Welcome aboard and congratulations Misspacey! :)

pass the courvoisier

B

Oooh! Just noticed I have 4 stars. Wooooot!