the film review thread

I think I preferred the original harrhausen one I think. My hubby went out and bought a kids book about the greek myths after watching it and playing 'god of war' - he didn't want a complicated one and was really embarrassed in the shop :p

heee, heee... I know I would be addicted to computer games if I started playing them - that god of war one sounds pretty good, I like that kind of fantasy children's entartainment - so I don't even go there! Heaven help me f I meet a bloke who's into them, then I will probably never get any work done. Maybe in my retirement I'll become a thumb pusher. My friend's husband is a sound designer for a games company and is absolutely OBSESSED, he regularly has 24 hour sessions with his mates - and, amazingly, he gets to interview Daniel Craig and Judy Dench for the new Bond game; how thrilling!!!!!!!! And he met Time Burton whhhhhaaaaawwwwwooooooooooooo my friend thought she might get to have lunch with him and was having kittens for weeks, but it didn't come off.

Oh dear I'm rambling and I have a form to fill in -it's the form from planet major big deal, for a permanent post at one of my teaching places, so a once in a decade chance etc etc. It's practically an MA in itself.

Go and see The Infidel; it's brilliant and will cheer you up. A modern day Ealing comedy.

======= Date Modified 12 Jun 2010 08:53:54 =======
Saw SATC2 last night, thought it was great, apart from the cheesey karaoke bit in the middle. May see it again just to check out the outfits in more detail. Quite a unique cinema experience, lots of whooping and cheering from the audience when key outfits appeared. And lots of spontaneous shouting out and cheering at key dramtic moments.

W

I watched/was made to watch Pretty Woman Today. I actually really enjoyed it and the ending made me go...awwww. I think it deserves a review on this thread, in fact.

Pretty Woman tells the tale of how even the oldest profession in the world can lead to a happy ending. I do think that the subject of the film is morally dubious and perhaps glosses over the issue of the dangers of being involved in the profession . Unless parents have had 'the talk' with their children, I do not think it is appropriate for family viewing. There are also some scenes in it which can be classed as watershed. My main problem with the film is Richard Gere as the protagonist -if I was a woman I really wouldn't fancy him. In fact, if I was Julia Roberts in that film, I'd have charged him double (compensation money).
Let's take Gigolo, for example. If I was an 80s permed brunette business woman in a pin stripe power suite with shoulder pads and a crocodile skin handbag, looking for a night of extra-marital passion and I called Dial-a-Gigolo and they sent him over, I'd go mental. In fact, I'd rather call Gigolos4U and order Alan Titschmarsh or Les Dennis. I can't believe he's supposed to be a housewives' favourite. I'd rather do the ironing or wind the baby.
Anyway, as a reviewer, I'm supposed to be unbiased. Sooooo, overall impression of the film? A good piece of escapism if you like to imagine being a young woman resorting to desperate measures, who is suddenly whisked off her feet by a very rich businessman. I don't. One curious side-effect of watching the film is that it really reminded me to brush my teeth so that I can have a dazzling whte smile, like our Julia's. I've already got the hairy arm pits.

S

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

I watched/was made to watch Pretty Woman Today. I actually really enjoyed it and the ending made me go...awwww. I think it deserves a review on this thread, in fact.

This could be because I was just proofing a feminist essay, or it could be that I just like giving the same bits of advice over and over again (like my Dad with jokes), but, I have to say, Man up. There's t' footbal' on t' telly and you go watching Pretty Woman!? You need to put your foot down lad; tell 'er to stick a (mince) in the oven and that you'll be up in a 105 minutes for a bit of 'ow's your father.

I may have spent too much time in Yorkshire.

W

I don't really like football, Slizor. Maybe it's a short attention span or something, but it just doesn't interest me. The only thing I've done that's World Cup related is buy my brother an England shirt for the World Cup when I got my stipend. As for Yorkshire, I live about 8 miles away from the border and ee by gum, it's a gradely place.

======= Date Modified 14 Jun 2010 08:56:36 =======
Hi Wal, did you read my thing on Pretty Woman a while back? I hated it when it was first released, but watched it at a sleep over a few months and kind of enjoyed it in a daft way. I'd still choose a Dr. Who or Come Dine With Me repeat over it any day.

Richard Gere is defo hot stuff tho, although this film put me off him for a while, way back when. Maybe the fact that you are a hetero male means you can't see it... An Officer and a Gentleman could help you convert.

not too sure on richard gere, he looks suspicious to me, I think its the thought of him being a buddhist, which seems so utterly unattainable and ridiculous in hollywood, there's something about religious celebs that annoys me

I watched sherlock holmes last week and thought it was really good. You could defenitely tell it was a guy ritchie movie though and jude law is quite irritating. Apart from that it was good!

W

Sorry, Eska, I wouldn't have reviewer it if I'd known you had. I'll give Richard Gere try in an Officer and a Gentleman and see if he can woo me in it, when I have some movie watching time. Sneaks, I suppose he can redeem himself slightly since he's not one of them scientologists. Plus, buddists have special powers like, allegedly, being able to hibernate, speak to nature and animals and voluntarily slow their own heart rates through the power of their minds (biofeedback, I think).

oh no Wal, don't get me wrong, buddhists are pretty wicked - I just am not entirely convinced that Richard Gere would adhere to the beliefs and rituals etc - although maybe its easier to be into religion in a big way (I'm thinking kabbalah and Madonna) when you're a multi-millionaire?

I know someone who says they are a buddhist, who is hoooooorrrrrrriiiiiiiiible. Don't think they do it properly tho.

No prob about the double review, good to read your point of view.

has anyone seen slumdog millionaire? I kind of think I should watch it because everyone else has, but it looks a bit dull.

H

Slumdog Millionaire is overrated.

I haven't seen any good films recently. It feels like everything has been done to death. Looking forward to the last Airbender. Keep meaning to watch Shrek 4 but nothing is dragging me to the cinema right now.

I really like Slumdog Millionaire, probably best seen on the big screen though, I think.

I reckon four lions looks good.