The "I'm having a cold thread"

P

I too have a cold! I definitely agree with some of the PNI research; the link between stress and increase suspectibility to colds! I'm trying to do several things at once, upgrade document, designing and implementing a pilot study (one phd, one government project) plus teaching...ahhh the drama continues

M

it seems the only way to live life as a student is to have a constant cold/flu. its the enevitable result of 'work' and partying. however i have beaten this trend. check out this black elderberry syrup. got it from boots and whenever i start feeling under the weather it picks me up within a couple of days. and i dont even mind the taste. mmmm sambuca...obviosly without the alcohol.

O

I think it also has to do with the cold damp drafty buildings in the UK. Its always cold inside! And I think it being an island that it has damp humid air which fosters the sort of cold that goes into your bones and does not leave.

O

Possibly. When I'm sitting in my living room I can feel the breeze/wind from outside. I wonder why there is a house around me if I feel the weather inside anyway.

I just bought a bottle of the "Sambucol" stuff in Boots, a bit hard to find as it's under Vitamins and not in the cold remedies section. I'll let you know if it works for me.

M

Vitamin C and Sambucol is my remedy!!!

S

Oh my god I cant believe you mentioned Sambucol!! I've been using that stuff for the past three weeks and I haven't caught any of the "Christmas Bugs" flying around at the moment :) Tastes yummy aswell!!

Happy New Year everyone!!!

S

Grhhhhh. Pesky Freshers Flu. I've been stuck in bed with a stinkin headache and fever all weekend. This Sambucol looks interesting (if I can summon the energy to go outside), although Sambuca might be an interesting alternative!

T

I thought I was too old for Freshers' Flu. Damn you young un's...

S

same here. stuck to bed with fever, headache, runny nose and sore throat. i am 99% sure i picked it up at freshers's fair. should never have volunteered.

it's kind of obvious - all those new students from all over the world, each with their own bugs, to which everyone else yet needs to build up resistance...

i feel so sorry for myself, i hate feeling like this, i wish it would be over with.

sylvester, coastman - get better soon! watch some bbc i-player, for diversion...

S

Wish I could watch IPlayer, instead I've had to haul myself into the office this morning so I can have a chance of meeting a Thursday deadline. I'm a walking virus-transmitter around this place, drugged up on Lemsip, honey, ribena and ibuprofen!

S

poor you! Look at it on the positive side guys, you're hopefully doing wonders for your immunity! Have you tried all the old wives tale cures of eating really hot curry and sweating it out etc. Wonder if they actually work for anybody?

S

for me it's herbal tea. sage or rosehip, with a little honey and lemon juice, work wonders for a sore throat. linden flower - which is difficult to get in the UK but quite off-the-shelf in supermarkets back "home" - helps for sweating it out.

wrap boiled potatoes in a piece of cloth and wrap it around your throat, helps with anything pulmonary. "granny" says the potatoes "draw the poison out". well i don't know about that but the heat around your throat is quite nice.

also, vinegar socks against fever. tried that on my partner and it seemed to work. simply mix vinegar with water, dunk your socks in it, put the socks on and wrap your feet up with a towel (in order to keep everything else dry)