Things you'd like to do after the PhD

because of 'PhD guilt' I have saved up a load of (albeit quite geeky) things i want to do once my thesis is complete. Its a distant dream but so far....

- complete Super Mario Galaxy on the wii
- complete Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the wii
- spend 2 weeks watching dvds non-stop.
- do one of those go ape thingys if I can get past the image of me in a harness :$

what are yours?

F

So many things, but to start with:

- read fiction
- renovate the house
- learn spanish
- spend more time with my husband

B

Well I've finished my PhD, but I drew up a list of these before finishing, and an updated list afterwards. Things on my lists (in addition to doing more research and producing more thesis-derived journal papers!) included:

- do certain OU courses, purely for fun
- learn LaTeX
- teach myself the Inform 7 text adventure programming language

And, above all, rest :-x

I've already started the Inform 7 learning, and am about to start a new OU course. Well actually I've already started it. I start early, ahead of the normal schedule, to try to save up a safety buffer for bad times when I can't study for weeks on end. It's in a subject related to the very first course I took with the OU in 1998, and has virtually nothing to do with my PhD ;-)

A

======= Date Modified 12 Jan 2011 21:09:33 =======
======= Date Modified 12 Jan 2011 21:09:10 =======
Watch Alibi without feeling guilty, buy gzillion more crime books from Amazon, tour Italy by train, drive Route 66 in a Winnebago (cliched I know but I still want to do it) but mainly what I don't want to do is have to transcribe interviews EVER AGAIN!!

Cool thread:-)

ah yeah, the ones I listed are ones I can actually afford. I'd love to do lots of other stuff like actually have a floor in my house, buy another dog :-x and go to austrailia when its not raining (do you think Sue is ok??)

C

Read more fiction. I do read stuff but I have to limit myslef as I'm not capable of just reading a little bit before bed... I stay up late and finish the whole book!
Other than that I'd like a holiday. My motivation to get written up is so I don't spend all my savings and can get away.

Love the idea of go ape too. I'm scared of heights but think I'll be ok if in a harness (maybe)

I've spent the last two nights reading Midnight sun into the small hours :$ finished it now :-( need more teenage vampire fiction! :$

J

@ Ady - route 66 is fab (we did a bit of it this summer after my research visiit to National Parks) but you must do it in a car so you can stay in the fab (and some not so fab) motels - many of which are prserved in their 1950s glory.

When I am finished I want to learn to paint water colours - a long standing ambition - when I was on maternity leave 10 years ago there was a programme where a bloke took "celebrities" and taught them to do water colours and he made it look so easy. I keep seeing courses but think that the time should be spend on PhD or with my husband and kids but a week long painting course (somewhere lovely) will be my post submission, pre-viva reward...

Ooh, great thread! And lots of great ideas, too....

I think I want to travel somewhere. I've always wanted to take the Trans-Siberian railway all the way from Moscow to China. And obviously I'd have to get all the way across Europe to Moscow first. I absolutely love really long train journeys, and that trip would just be amazing!

And read fiction, oh yes, definitely! I hardly ever get the time these days. I have a huge number of crime novels I want to read, and I also want to have enough brain power to read more literary stuff as well. A few days just lying on the sofa reading would be fantastic.

And play computer games too :$