vegetarian question....how do you get enough calories...

enjoy them chrisrolinski

I

Wondering why you've gone veggie chrisrolinski? Although, personally I will applaud any/all your reasons... jealous of the weight loss thing though. Like h, I don't seem to have that 'trouble'. Not being vegan, I add cream to sauses and fry things in butter - tastes great, but eat in moderation.

I've found that, after not eating any meat for about 15 years that the thought and smell actually repulse me, but I remember the cravings when I first switched. Are you struggling at all?

C

I've only been at it for just less than 3 weeks - so no cravings yet. Actually, already the sight of uncooked meat makes my stomach turn!

I have given up for two main reasons:

Prententious reason: I work in the are of writing cultural histories of animals and much of my reading borders on theoretical texts on what animals are in relation to us. The lack of certainty in these texts about what constitutes an animal and what we can know about them makes me feel uncomfortable eating them.

Practical Reason: I seen on tv and on the internet the condiitons many animals are raised and then slaughtered in. I don't like it.

I'm still not sure how to cut cheese out (rennet) because I need the protein but it is still about an animal. Hmmm ideal watered down?

R

It's very easy to find veggie cheese in the supermarket - just look for the green V

C

Coolt. Thank you. Just need to track V' jelly now and then I'm sorted...

H

You can buy crystal jelly and such like, makes you wonder what chemicals they put in it to make it set.

Had one in India and it turned the white bowls red (it was raspberry flavour)

I

very similar reasons to myself actually - very good point about humans/animals, could debate for hours...

Anyway, it really is so much easier than it used to be. Personally, I don't get too hung up on the few additives in treats (like jelly); overall, my diet it really healthy and our bodies are designed to filter out the crap.

As for watering down morals, you could end up torturing yourself pointlessly. I have found a huge variety of veggie cheeses etc and enjoy them. I always buy organic milk (it's only pence more expensive for clear conscience) and do the same with other products BUDGET ALLOWING. You're doing your best and shouldn't feel guilty - or worse still, be made to feel guilty (some people enjoy trying to draw you into a debate so that they can 'catch you out' on stuff: sad).

C

Thanks for the jelly tips.

Yeah - I always buy free-range eggs, and I'll make sure I buy high quality organic products budget allowing. I know it is impossible to completely cut out animal products entirely (i.e. I love the leather belt I have) but at least I can work signficantly towards that line. And maybe one day I'll be a vegan - but I can't really see that happening.

S

I agree that you shouldn't feel guilty (or let others make you feel guilty) about watering down your principles. I'm by no means vegetarian, but I'm trying to eat less meat (not for any health reasons, but because I don't like the thought of it - I like animals and don't think they're a necessary part of our diet). I choose vegetarian food over meat when it's available, but if someone cooks meat for me I'll (probably) eat it. So when I have a really great meat-free day, I congratulate myself and then promptly remind myself that I'm wearing leather shoes I figure some effort is better than none...

S

Oh, I posted that before seeing your post Chris (leather issue).

C

I totally understand where you're coming from Sue.

My personal feeling is that because meat can be cut out healthily - I want to. As for other material goods - it might well be that leather is the least polluting material rather than oil derived plastic. Sigh. Such a quandry. It seems viturally impossible to balance things up sometimes!

J

On the jelly question: we have a Chinese supermarket that sells a huge variety of agar desserts (jelly, effectively). Agar is from seaweed, as I expect everyone knows. Tastes exactly the same, but comes in nice exotic flavours like jasmine and Thai flowers.

C

That sounds so refined!

K

Nuts! eat lots of nuts, high in protein and good fats, and high in "good" calories. You can use chestnuts (available tinned from most big supermarkets) in lots of recipes that use meat and they are a good substitue in things like lasagne and pasta. I wouldn't eat quorn if I were you, it's massively processed and not really that good for you. Tofu is good though, and eat lots of brown and wild rice to up your protein. Boys need protein!

C

Brown rice it is. Mother will want her baby boy to be big and stong