What cheers you up?

S

Ha ha, so sorry Wally, I hate that you can't see who's written what when you're replying - didn't mean you! Oops :$ although it would boost any funding - and we're back to Belle D'Jour - where's Clever Clogs when you need him?

Lol Sneaks, its funny you say that, my friend also posts endless photos of herself on facebook and is kind of matching your description.... hmmmm..... lol lol - but she does really enjoy it!

Quote From stressed:

Lol Sneaks, its funny you say that, my friend also posts endless photos of herself on facebook and is kind of matching your description.... hmmmm..... lol lol - but she does really enjoy it!

ooh maybe its the same person, or maybe its a kind of disease. Maybe in 2 months I'll be PMing you all with links to photobucket of me hanging off a pole upside down with some knickers that appear too tight and are therefore showing muffin top (and bottom) (snowman)

A gingerbread soya latte from costa coffee mmmmm, just had one this morning, perfect for this blustery day, plus I think it's suitably vegan for Caitlin's friend.

I also love the film Funny Face with Fred Astair and Audrey Hepburn, it always puts me in a good mood (as do most films with Fred Astair in them- I love his funny face!).

Here's the IMBD, with some clips: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050419/
And here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMKm-PpD8Aw

ooh I love fred astaire!

I have a dolce gusto coffee machine on my desk and I have coffee syrup - really bad idea if you don't want to be off your head on caffeine and sugar all day! But yes the gingerbread one is MMMMMMM.

W

This cheers me up...Register with the job matcher update thingy on the prospects website and, periodically, laugh hysterically at the 'suitable' job vacancies it e-mails to you. Here's my latest: multilingual medical information professional... I can't even speak my own language particularly well - let alone another.

Oh dear, all I can think about now is watching funny face. Meant to do some proper writing work, hhhhmmmm, must get going.

C

Quote From catalinbond:

This is a good thread. I've got a good friend in need of cheering up and I was thinking today about what I could do. My friend is a recent convert to veganism and I was thinking of trying to find some vegan cake or even baking one. Dunno if this is a good idea or whether she'll feel obliged to eat cake when she doesn't want it.

Coffee and a chat often works as someone else suggested. May be looking here for more ideas though!

I have been vegan for over two years and know how to make a number of cakes and biscuits if you would like the recipes, jsut PM me. Otherwise lots of places do them to sell premade (for example, vegetarian cafes and healthfood shops)

S

Quote From sneaks:

Quote From stressed:

ooh maybe its the same person, or maybe its a kind of disease. Maybe in 2 months I'll be PMing you all with links to photobucket of me hanging off a pole upside down with some knickers that appear too tight and are therefore showing muffin top (and bottom) (snowman)

Ewww ewwww ewwwwww, not muffin top AND bottom - I'm trying to enjoy a cuppa here - would be hysterical to see though 8-) Would definately be a source of cheering up lol - even more so if I post some having fallen on my head from the pole! (she's not a teacher is she???)

What's cheered me up is writing 4k words today and now being nearly halfway through my board paper :-) That is always a source of joy lol, but maybe you have to be one of us mad nutters to fully appreciate that cheery thought ;-)

haha, she's ginger if that helps. I would post a pic, but would feel guilty as I guess that's her property (although she does like to splash them across facebook enough)

T

Hmm, a long chat with my best friend cures just about anything, there's nothing like feeling understood/putting the world to rights. Getting out and being active is also a major mood-saver; mountain biking, water sports, even just going out for a jog together can be great. Any form of dance is doubly cheering, it's hard to be sad when you're salsa-ing :-) If there's a group of you you could organise something daft like a chocolate treasure hunt in a park, or set up your own croquet/crazy golf. Old movies are great, so much gentler than modern blockbusters, and I definitely second the comedy clubs if you've got one nearby. If you wanted a spa day but money's tight, then lastminute.com have great offers, or you could go and get treatments at your local beauty school (not majorly glam but still fun and very cheap). I also like to borrow peoples dogs whenever possible, their happiness just rubs off on you. Waht else, making things can be therapeutic, you could get t-shirt or pottery painting kits (borrow a child if you feel self-conscious and need an excuse).

K

Hey guys, thanks soooo much for all of your ideas! I'm not so sure about the pole-dancing thing (a nightclub we went to not long ago had a free-for-all pole for dancing on/around and it was a fairly disastrous experience!) but aside from that I reckon there are lots of things I can try to get some more smiles out of her. Have done all the usual things like chocolate and wine and funny dvds and chats and stuff, so it's great to have some more imaginative things to do! Cheers all, Best, KB (up)

M

My husband bought me a book of photos of cute baby animals to cheer me up. Scarily it works incredibly well! Sometimes when I come home from the office stressed he just gives me a big hug and hands me the book or opens up the daily puppy website on the computer. Otherwise music, dancing, crafts, baking fun things and getting outdoors usually cheer me up. Oh and completely different random experiences.

S

this always happens to me--whenever i am miserable/stressed, SOMEONE will call me on my phone/mobile/university line!!!

ANother thing that always cheers me up is spending time with my pet. After a hard day, put my rabbit on my lap or carry it.
Really works!!!
love
satchi

Oh Satchi - You've got a rabbit!? :-x:-x:-x:-x

I had a rabbit once. I loved him but he hated me. Anytime I picked him up he bit me, he also peed on me alot :-(

H e actually jumped to his death from my 11 year-old arms and broke his wee neck - I'll never forget those awful squeals

On a brighter note, most bunnies are lovely creatures and I'm sure Satchi has a lovely one