What shall I wear???

I

Advice sought by a slightly aging rock chick who doesn't 'do' clubs that often any more!

My younger brothers promote and DJ at a club that I'm supposed to be going to tonight. I think the music includes 'trance' (?) and I'm a bit scared...

Apparantly the dress code involves fancy dress and hippy stuff (? again). Can I just go in my jeans?

B

Trance?! Good luck with that one...
Well, I'm into the House music scene - you can wear anything you like. Jeans are comnpletely fine. Though you might get a bit warm.

P

Trance now that takes me back a decade -tee hee. I used to date a trance DJ when I lived in Tokyo and went along to a few full moon parties in Koh Phan Yang & a beach do in Goa , to sit wearily in the booth in my role as DJWAG. I remember glow in the dark bindis, anYthing with an Om on it & flarey PJ style tie-dye trousers were the rage. Tie dye is so wrong, it will never be right -but think hippy on acid.

I

Good point about jeans and hot! Glow-in-the-dark-bindis?! Where would I even get them from? Never mind, I'm thinking that pyjamas might be the way to go...

I

This is TONIGHT btw! I'm so lost (wasn't serious about pyjamas). Maybe a picture of something appropriate - I really have no idea! C'mon and be specific... please?

D

Generally I find the jeans and strappy top combo never fails. I just accept the fact that whatever I wear it will get hot and just go for damage limitation, ensuring lippie, brush and plasters are in handbag!

D

Oh and also that while intially the pointy heels may look good by the end of the night you will regret it! Scholl party feet a god send!

P

just have a look at" full moon party" on google images & you'll get the idea.
Seriously anything day glow, psychedelic, hindu imagery,anthing to do with UFO's, aliens etc on t-shirts & some hippie beads.

Jeans, a tied dyed vest top, flipflops & some beads would be enough. Dayglow face paints are pretty easy to get hold of too - paint something pretty on your 3rd eye! But I strongly believe fancy dress should be the only cirumstances that one dons anything tie-dye, so make sure it REALLY IS fancy dress, otherwise you'll just be a crime against taste.

D

In my day it was glo sticks, furry legwarmers, and tops with flashing lights. Feel so old thinking about it now!!

I

Thanks girls, I'm beginning to get the picture. There's so much SKIN on show...

Looking at those pictures has brought on my next crisis - one which (amazingly) I hadn't yet considered: the 'dancing' thing.

OMG! I'd be so much happier headbanging to Metallica.

D

Dont worry, the dancing thing will be fine. Everyone will probably be completely off their heads and wont notice. Just move quickley

P

lol @DJW. Do you remember Global hyper colour T-Shirts that changed colour with your body heat? Aciiiiiiiiiiiiiiid.

Re: the dancing, I remember the 1st time someone took me to a dnb gig and I was - good lordie I can't dance to this & my mate said just do a shakin stevens / chicken dance & I looked around me and everyone was! Don't worry noone actually dances to trance they either nod their heads or whirl around...unless of course you can do poi or fire juggling?

H

Insomniac,suprisingly many hindus (like myself for example) don't appreciate non-hindus (and even some pretend hindus) wearing our symbols on their clothing (including pants) and bags and then going off clubbing or eating meat etc.

So please don't do anything like that

I

Thanks again for all the advice - as it turned out, one of my brothers couldn't play for some reason so we rearranged for 4 weeks time. I've got more into the idea of it all and think I'll make a bit of an effort now that I've got more time to go shopping for dayglo face paints and practise my chicken dancing

Not to get heavy at all, but try not to be offended by non Hindus 'borrowing' your religious symbols H - just look at how crucifixes have been abused (Madonna, horror films, 'fashion' etc). You know what the symbols mean to you, that's what counts.

H

Don't worry Insomniac, I'm not going to try and start riots and start burning flags etc. It would be nice if people were a bit more respectful and less ignorant but I guess that is a lot to ask for.

Well with crosses etc, I know many so-called Christians who wear the cross and then do very un-Christian acts so I guess thats the same thing.