1 4 the ladies? Is Primark dressing female research students.

P

This is a non-academic post, but I have noticed today there is a high rate of casual references to Primark on this forum.

As research and poverty go hand in hand I have come to rely on my local branch as the major source of my wardrobe updates, as I can splash out on a whole new outfit for £10. Someone recently told me that they are one of the most unethical retailers on the high street at the moment - in terms of dodgey production & sweatshops. Is this true?

I have gone from a high paid salary to being a self funded student &I just wanted to ask how do people cope with not having any money for "stuff"?

J

I have never heard of primark. what is it? I feel richer than I ever have. When i did my degree I was living on a 1/3 of the money I have now. I took a year out and got a job and that job paid less than I'm getting now.

With my stipend I can afford to rent my own flat and buy nice stuff. I don't know why people moan about being poor. I feel loaded!

J

my stipend is never enough

J

*looks at his credit card bill and cries*

J

tkmax reminds me of a jumble sale. Loads of random stuff all lumped together!

S

Tkmax requires too much patience, i get annoyed enough at uni when i can't find what i want. I normally shop at next or topman.

What are you doing in primark danb? i thought that was a birds shop

J

i definitely go to Primark before anywhere else. Ethical standards...those hardly cross my mind as a broke student. Even tho they did, why on earth would I spend £30 on a pair of jeans in next when i can get it in Primark for £8?? or £22 on a swimsuit in BhS when I can get it in Primark for £4. I really don't think research students have a choice when they find themselves in Primark. If i couold afford it, i'd go to GAP, Next etc, but i need money to have a decent social life so.. i save on everyelse...clothes included. :)

P

If only it were that easy. I made a new years resolution to consume more ethically in 2006, and to try and eat organic or locally sourced produce. Unfortunately this is turning out to me much more expensive than I had antisipated. Fair trade & organic foods are pricey.
As for the clothes thing, well I suppose you are right Crystal, but I don't have enough time to trawl charity & 2nd hand shops. In my experience this takes some effort and being prepared to set aside time to keep an eye on the stock, so I am there when those bargins ( & in my size) do pop up. You're absolutely correct about the quality of clothing though in these cheap shops sauch as Primark. They die in the washing machine, I am finding it abit of a false economy!

S

I don't care where it comes from, I don't even look into the fair trade thing.

I shop at next, topman tkmax (occassionally) and burtons. They are not that expensive, and sometimes if I see something i like i will shop at asda and tescos.

Clothes are clothes, all the same to me, as long as it looks good, I don't care about the price, even if it is a bit expensive. But you do get what you pay for in terms of fit and quality.

J

Crystal- great thing about Primark is that I get new stuff. Why should i go sifting thro used stuff in the name of ethics when i can buy new stuff? I LOVE myself. Secondly, I like to change my wardrobe regularly, so the wear and tear of Primark stuff doesn't bother me at all. It only makes my life easier when deciding whether to throw away my old stuff or take it to charity shops. If i like something that much and it gets torn, I can always pop in and get it again, e.g. 7 pairs of the same jean (£8) and that will still be less than £60. Simply lifestyle that fits my taste and budget :).

Z

Hey I'm with Jen - I earn more with my PhD stipend than any job I had in my year out, plus my student loan was 14 times lower (yes, that's true) than what I earn with my stipend - plus demonstrating rakes in a lot more extra cash!! I'm pretty well off compared to all the people I know back home who just left school at 16 and got a factory or shop job, and I've actually managed to save money every month.

S

wanna pay my student loan, graduate loan, overdraft and credit cards then?

J

Actually i got it wrong my stipend is 4 times as much as my student loan. Apart from my student loan I have no debts. I have no overdraft, no credit cards etc. I think I'm quite lucky.

S

well pay mine off then

J

no