1st ever PhD interview and nervous as hell

T

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me! I am currently a MSc student studying Neuroscience and am about three-quarters of the way through my course. I've been applying for PhDs constantly since i finished my bachelors finished, and have been rejected at least 20 times so far, without an interview.

I could understand that because, well, a lot of people have much, much more experience than me and more qualifications, and have been trying a lot longer, so i have no right to complain, really.

The thing is now i finally have a PhD interview at UCL and this will be the first academic interview i've done in a long time! The PhD is neuroscience-related and to do with drosophila melanogaster, which is what i'm currently working with on my master's research project. I can't tell you how well suited this PhD is to my interests and my current research work- i want this PhD very badly.

I know i probably have a lot less experience than whoever the other candidates are, but I do have a 1st in my undergrad and some experience directly relating to the PhD in question. Do i have any chance at all? Does anyone have any interview tips that may help? Has anyone here applied for a PhD at UCL? Please, I need some help and advice!

My interview is on the 21st of May.Thank you for your help.

A

Well done on your interview. Sadly, I can't immediately help as I have no expertise in your field, but I would also recommend that you try on The Student Room post graduate forum, as lots of UCL applicants/ offer-holders seem to post there regularly.

T

Quote From ampm:
Well done on your interview. Sadly, I can't immediately help as I have no expertise in your field, but I would also recommend that you try on The Student Room post graduate forum, as lots of UCL applicants/ offer-holders seem to post there regularly.

Thank you! I'll check out the link, although student room tends to make me more nervous than help sometimes:S I don't mind if people aren't in my particular field, any academic interview tips/experiences would be welcome:)

L

Hi and welcome!

I am at a similar stage to you - applying for PhD's. I have made four applications (2 successful, 2 pending), I am a humanities bod, applying with my own research proposal - I mention this as I believe it has been important in interview and where my interview experience may differ from that of an advertised project.

Although I was offered my places without interview, I have been interviewed for a PhD studentship. My panel consisted of the Dean of the College, Head of Postgraduate Research for my faculty, and Chair of my faculty.. the interview was not a whisker over twenty minutes as they were interviewing all day, and all week!!

Their first question was 'what original knowledge will your project contribute to your field?' I had no answer. Upon reflection, I think the ideal answer would have been along the lines of whose work I was familiar with and would build upon, but that still wouldn't have answered their question!! I was then questioned about my suitability for my proposed research ie previous research experience, interaction with the subject matter and source material, which led into questions of methodology, and again, my experience with that methodology, especially throughout my Masters. Finally, they asked about my ability to be able to complete the work within three years. And that was it.

I guess the above questions could apply to any subject, but also that the first is perhaps irrelevant if they are advertising the project! I guess if a PI has already been allocated, perhaps they will ask you about her/his past research, which seems like a reasonable substitute. Oh - I had also researched the different research groups within the faculty in which I would complete my PhD, and although I wasn't asked directly about them, there was a positive response from the interviewers when I mentioned them and the wider research community etc!!

I don't know how helpful the above is. But in any case, huge luck!
Lizzie

T

Congrats on your two successful applications- you are very lucky!

You're right, my PI is already allocated and so is the project, as it already has funding etc- its all down to the interview now, and how they feel about me. Your comment helps a lot with some the questions they might ask, and thanks for mentioning to look up the research group itself- i'll definitely do that! I plan to do my homework as properly as possible, and just hope for the best now, really. Thanks for your help!

L

Thanks!! I'm thrilled but also yet to secure funding so things are uncertain but I am very eager to get started..

You're very welcome. I was very nervous before my studentship interview and my disastrous first answer didn't help. But once we got past that, I was just focused on my research and experience, which took over from the nervousness! Good prep is invaluable and it sounds as though you are already doing that!

Let us know how you get on and all the best again!
Lizzie :)