2.1 and Masters...a waste of time??

G

Hey all, hope you can help soothe my paranoia. I've got my 2i in Human Bio at St Andrews, and I'm going on to do an MSc at Manchester. Interestingly enough, this MSc required a 2i on entry, which is slightly unconventional for a taught masters, as candidates with a 2i can generally go on to do PhDs directly.

I'm just wondering whether it's worth doing this MSc after all? As in, will it improve my chances of doing a PhD (and receive funding)? Also, would it be cheeky of me to ask to course organiser why they request a 2i? Cheers :)

T

Well I don't think its esential to do an MSc to go onto a PhD.. I went straight on to do a PhD from my undergrad degree.. Any reason why you applied for a masters rather than going for a PhD?

I don't think there is a problem asking the organisers about why they ask for a 2i

U

Usually, if you do an MSc and get a distinction, your chances of PhD funding are significantly increased. If you do the MSc at the same Uni as you want to do the PhD, you get yourself known, which also increases chances.

Also I found the knowledge I gained in my MSc really helped during the PhD.

S

In my experience, EVERYONE will give you a different piece of advice when it comes to deciding whether to do a masters degree or not. I eventually came to the conclusion that everyone has their own personal reasons for doing a masters (nor not). In other words: ignore everyone's advice and decide what a masters degree would mean to YOU!

G

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I guess I'm doing a masters because i'm still not 100% committed to studying a PhD, but it does seem appealing. Just weighing up my options