2:2 in IR

O

Hi

I just found out today I got a 2:2 for my IR degree. I was predicted a 2:1 and missed out on a 2:1 by around 2%, but I guess thats just the way it is.

As long as they accept me despite the 2:2, I am still intending to do my MA. I never wanted to apply to any graduate schemes or anything anyway...but will the 2:2 come back to haunt me even if I get a good MA?

S

I'm in IR. A lot of people take a Masters to 'cover up' a bad undergrad degree - you can't erase the 2.2, but a decent MA will show you have achieved a good mark at a higher level and so people will not be as interested in a less than fab undergrad mark. It's all a bit like A Levels - no one looks at your GCSEs much once you have the higher qualification IYSWIM

S

I'm an IR PhD, and I lecture undergrads and MAs too. Our uni also offers internal PhD funding. As far as my uni goes, even if you get a Masters, its unlikely you'll get a funded PhD (if that's what you want), even if its just a fee waiver... the competitions too strong. Plus, when I was doing my MA there were a small number of students who got 2:2s and were signed up to do the PG diploma, and if their marks were enough they were upgraded to the MA. None of them managed it.
Sorry to sound negative, but this is just my experience!

P

I got a CASE PhD studentship at a good uni and I've got a 2.2. Although my field is within the social sciences

S

I know someone who managed to get on a course with a third. They contacted the admissions tutor and begged for an interview and gave a great interview apparently so they made an exceptiion in their case. However, like sleepyhead says, they apparently haven't coped with the MA-level coursework very well. Perhaps you should contact the institutions direct and promote yourself as much as possible. It can be done, but you have to be tough and try as many places as possible. Stick to institutions that are not top of their league - try the ex-polys - as you will have more chance

I

Pineapple

What is a CASE PhD?

ilovebdt

P

A CASE studentship is different from the normal studentship as its a partnership between a university and a non academic insitution such as department of health for example. A CASE studentship also receives more money each term in terms of maintainance.

J

guys, you're so pessimistic! i know one guy who got a 2.2 in his degree and is now a millionaire. he works for a company as an administrator and runs businesses on the side. he is completing his MBA with one of the top UK unis. soooo... its not all about 2.1s and 2.2s. it's not grades that determine how you turn out. it's you who determines that. try getting into a uni somehow and work your tail off that year and get a decent 2.1 and forget about all the 2.2 stuff.

J

So true. My supervisor has often commented that grades at undergrad taught level are little indicator of ability at research level. He calls some brilliant undergrads "parrots": able to say all the right things in exams, but hopeless when it comes to working independently.