2 questions about prospective PhD life

A

Quote From goodboy:

Sometimes, it is not only the Brutality & Force that could Enslave a Nation. The Great Wall of China is an Extravagant example of this and even that failed to keep the Enemies out. Sometimes, it is this kind of informality,diplomacy and tactics that could win/deceive the hearts and minds of people to boost the productivity to meet the target/objective. A combination of above characteristics helped a few nations ruled nearly half of the world and gathered the enormous resources and wealth from all around the world. Calling Dr Ellingham Jade Underbridge by Elly does not necessarily means that next time she will embrace you with open arms ;). Think it that way that every utterance has a level of energy associated with it..so why waste it when it is not needed? ;-)

Hi Goodboy,

Thank you for your answer. It is unique, so I respond to you individually. You seem to have a good knowledge of the whole world's history and culture and use it as a backgroud or example to support your point. I have read your post 5 times (thanks to my poor English :-() and still I don't think I can fully get it. But I guess you are telling me to call supervisors by their first names, right?

And you mentioned China's Great Wall which we are proud of. If you are still interested, we may talk further about China in PMs.

S

Lol Akui, Goodboy's posts are often a little cryptic, he's a deep thinker. You can normally tell tbh if you have a supervisor that likes to be addressed formally, you can tell from their emails - some have an auto signature that will state their full title - but most will sign themselves how they wished to be addressed. Also, if you feel more comfortable its fine to call them Prof.... or Dr.... and english people will often say in a friendly way, please, call me John or whatever their name is. I have a masters student that I'm helping supervise and she insisted on addressing me as Mrs Stressed (insert my real first name lol) and after a while I got through to her that I'm just me :-) I find formality quite hard sometimes, I don't like being set apart from people who are just the same as me, just a few years behind in terms of their training.

And lol I chose my name while I was waiting for news on funding and was extremely stressed ;-) I still am lmao so it seems to fit!

S

hi akui
Congratulations on your PhD journey!!!
:-) :-) :-)
1. Most people do finish the work required for their phd in 3 years but writing up may take longer.
There is a professor of media Tara Barbazon; her students always finish EVERYTHING in 3 years. But she goes about a very strict regiment; which is good I guess; according to her, a PhD is completed in three solid years.

2. Dont worry about how you should call your supervisor. If you come from a place where teachers are always called Mr/Dr/Prof., thats fine too. In fact, some academics do appreciate being addressed "prof. so-and-so" or "dr so-and-so". Just go with what you are comfortable with, as long as you address your supervisor politely.

When you are in the UK longer, and more familiar with everything else (supervisor included), you may go on first names if you like. Just go with the flow.

Hope this helps
happy satchi

A

Hi Stressed,

No wonder it takes me 5 times. He came to the same conclusion and the difference is he thinks more, so the conclusion seems more convincing. :-)

My supervisor's auto signature is his first name, so is it what he'd like me to call him? Maybe I should talk to him directly and let him decide.

I like it when you laugh. It seems to be relieving your stress, Stressed. LOL.

A

Hi Happy Satchi,

Thank you for your advice. It does help. I like your word "Just go with what you are comfortable with, as long as you address your supervisor politely". I am gonna figure out a way with the help of you guys.

And you are sure to be happy every minute with a noble mind ready to help others, Happy Satchi.
:-)

A

Akui, I think you had to read Goodboys post 5 times because it doesn't actually make sense, and the start and middle are different points to each other as well as to the conclusion. I'm glad you are feeling better about things though, I hope you enjoy starting your PhD! (up)

A

Thank you, Algaequeen.

Really? I just thought it was my poor English. But never mind. What I can clearly understand is that people here are nice and they are willing and trying to help me. I can feel that and I am really grateful.

Best wishes to you. :-)

I

Hello Akui,

One of my friend who completed his Phd was giving me some suggestions, he said that students who interact with other Phd students finish their phd sooner than those who work alone;
He had friends from china who finished their Phds within 3 years time because of working closely with others.

Best of luck

S

Lol Algaequeen, I was thinking much the same ;-) I was wondering if I'm just not academic enough to understand goodboy's posts (sprout)

Akui, you'll find that the vast majority of people here are just lovely and will be more than willing to help you through anything - we go through so many ups and downs on the PhD rollercoaster that this site is invaluable in getting you through - if nothing else knowing that your worries, concerns are shared and that people have come out the other side is just great - a PhD can feel pretty isolated at times, but the advice is fantastic and there is nothing so good as seeing someone struggle through and then come out the other side a Dr - gives us all a huge lift :-)

A

Hi Itsmardan,

Thank you for your advice. My supervisor has informed me that I will make a team with several other new PhD students on a big project and we will be responsible for what we are interested in. So, I won't work alone. That's good news based on your friend's experience. And I'm happy to see my Chinese fellows could succeed, that's really an motivation for me.

Best regards :-)

A

Yes, Stressed, I can feel that. Thank you guys and this forum. Right now, I am just expecting to come to the UK, learn about it and make friends with everyone here.:-)

G

Algaequeen, Did you miss the methodology section of the post? I love your hat though.
Akui, from my last post at another thread you posted, I had realized that you are clever enough to know all the answers beforehand. Leeds is def a good choice, I can understand the joy and the excitement associated.

A

Quote From goodboy:

Algaequeen, Did you miss the methodology section of the post? I love your hat though.
Akui, from my last post at another thread you posted, I had realized that you are clever enough to know all the answers beforehand. Leeds is def a good choice, I can understand the joy and the excitement associated.

LOL, Thank you, Deep Thinker (if you don't mind.)

TBH, I didn't know the answers (including the post of choosing offers). There is no need to post them out to seek for advice if I already understand and decide, right? But I have to say you do have a good insight and I like it.

And thank you for your advice in choosing from the 3 offers. It helped a lot. Are you interested in talking further or may I PM you?

G

======= Date Modified 28 Jun 2010 16:32:34 =======
Personally, I do not categorize my self as an Intellectual or a True Academic as some do here. I am only a learner myself. Therefore, I do not post Pathetic remarks about other people's Personal Opinions. I also do not need any supportive comments from anyone to keep me going nor I am here for any Stats help. I am an Engineer and a Mathematician and that is my life. I am a self learner. I am not researching for any Job/Money but just for my personal satisfaction. Therefore, my perspective towards life may be a bit different.
Akui, thanks for asking. Of course, I will be so pleased to give any further advice. I am sorry that you could not get my last post.;-)

A

Quote From goodboy:

======= Date Modified 28 Jun 2010 16:32:34 =======
Personally, I do not categorize my self as an Intellectual or a True Academic as some do here. I am only a learner myself. Therefore, I do not post Pathetic remarks about other people's Personal Opinions. I also do not need any supportive comments from anyone to keep me going nor I am here for any Stats help. I am an Engineer and a Mathematician and that is my life. I am a self learner. I am not researching for any Job/Money but just for my personal satisfaction. Therefore, my perspective towards life may be a bit different.
Akui, thanks for asking. Of course, I will be so pleased to give any further advice. I am sorry that you could not get my last post.;-)

Goodboy, you can develop and hold your own thoughts. That's hard and you make it. I think people here are nice and they didn't mean offense or harm to you. We are a united team. So be happy and always ready to help others. we are here to seek for advice and if capable, to give.

This time, I think Ive got your last word. There is no ending to your help, right?