3 year science phd programme

M

Hi,
I just want to know what I would be getting myself into if I do a PhD. What is the normal course structure of a 3 year science e.g. genetics phd program.
Thanks

W

The workload will depend on the supervisor. However, if you wish to go into academia, it is not a bad idea to go for one who will push you hard. If you are doing it for the chance to do a PhD for yourself then just go for what empassions you most.

My university suggests 150 hours per month on the PhD, you can get away with less dependent on subject and your knowledge already of your subject (e.g. if you have a masters very closely related to PhD choice).
My supervisor expects 10 hours per day not including breaks. This is very, very hard to achieve but some in my lab do manage that. (Hopefully supervisor not going to read this (!) but I physically cannot manage that so ensure I do the university 150 hours)

First year: I have had a 3 month review, report)(lit review, aim of PhD work, current progress, targets) and meeting with advisors. I will have another at the end of the year (review of year, targets, review of PhD direction) and meet again with advisors. I am expected to produce a poster and present it at a conference (many departments will have a faculty symposium so you can present your poster if you haven't gone to anything countrywide or international). In the sciences I have found (unless you are industry sponsored) everything you do is geared towards publishing results. Also attend undergrad lectures in areas where my knowledge is lacking to improve my backgound knowledge.
Group meetings: you can expect to present your work to the rest of the group on a regular basis.
Second year: I will have a mini viva at the end. Practice for the big one at end of year 3. Another poster to faculty. Presentation to students in similar department in another university we have links with.
Third year: Will have the big viva at the end but the year will be geared to ensuring I have publishable data as well as a thesis. Another poster at a major conference if not done already. Presentation to faculty as well.

Otherwise PhD will progress dependent on where your research takes you. I have friends doing modelling who are already submitting work to journals v I have managed to prepare my sample ready for use using work the post-doc has done.

M

Thank you for that information. It has definitly clarified things for and has not put me off :)