3 yr PhD: A Myth (or not) ?

T

Quote From tricky:

I do think that there is a difference between subject areas.. In science you have more of a direct goal as you get results and then can write them up.. My other half is doing a PhD in law and is finding it hard to nail down exactly what to write about.

You might have a direct goal, but a lot of experiments go wrong etc...

T

Yeah thats true.. or you don't get the result you were expecting which can alter things alot!!

P

It took me 4.5 years from start to graduate. 3 years full time and then another 1 year 2 months to submit my thesis. I thought I *had* done it in the 3 years.. however my 2nd supervisor, when he looked at my thesis told me it was awful and I would have to re-write large chunks of it.

I managed 4 publications in the 3 years full time - all of which I had to look around for and do myself as my 1st Supervisor seemed awfully dis-interested. I would personally just try and aim for 1-2 a year, my boyfriend managed 15 in his 3 years (I kid you not.. and most are IEEE journals and stuff so pretty darn amazing) .. however HE went over his 3 years due to just writing papers with his supervisor and he finished in 4 years.

B

Quote From Smilodon:

Some funding bodies will blacklist a supervisor/dept if students do not submit within a certain period of 3-4 years. That's where a lot of the pressure comes from. Self-funded students are under less pressure.

Yes I'm AHRC funded and they will blacklist a department if a full-time student doesn't submit in 4 years. Part-timers are allowed a 7 year deadline.

P

Hi PhDBug
i did mine in 3 years to the day! it was very hard work and i had to put almost everything else on hold for the final 6 months (literally 16 hour days 7 days a week) but was worth it to get it all done and dusted. Its important to remember you will never feel completely ready to submit you could always re-write this bit and just read a few more articles. I can recommend setting a date and working like mad to get to it and hand it in then. worked for me! ;-)

B

Dont do it. PhD is bottom. Waste of time and money.

P

Andy1 and Andy1, maybe its time to ban someone from this forum....

P

Quote From billclinton:

Dont do it. PhD is bottom. Waste of time and money.

Unless you get funding .. in which case it's 3 plus years of not working.. using someone elses cash... regular pub trips AND the cool title of 'Dr'... what more can anyone ask for? 8-)

R

Well I don't think it's just a myth - I know a girl who finished in just under three years actually! But she was in science and I think they tend to go faster... I think there is a big difference if someone is working on a project that is pre-defined by their supervisor compared to others who decide on their own topic - and spend up to a year defining exactly what they are going to do.

I also think that the supervisor has a big influence... I know several people who have been supervised by this guy who thinks a PhD should take 5 years... and ALL of his students take 5 years to complete... coincidence? My supervisor is very much of the plough-through-in-3-years mindset... but here I am starting my fourth year :-( Boo hoo hoo... Still an entire thesis to write too...