4 months left, ready to quit!

D

Hello everyone
Im only 4 months from submitting my thesis but Im ready to quit. I cant even go into why and the reasons behind it all because Im so scared my supervisor will somehow read this and make things even worse for me. I know it seems silly to come so far and give up now but is it really worth all the hassle and stress? Its making me ill.

Sorry, just needed a rant!

W

Hi Doctor? This forum is totally anonymous and you don't need to mention any names or specifics that may identify you. There's no point in me sprouting platitudes about how a PhD is all about hassle and stress, and that it's worth it in the long run. Doubtless, you'll already have heard that. What I can say, though, is that you're so very close to finishing and whatever difficulties you're having at this stage really must be crippling, if you're considering giving up so close to the end.
I surmise being so close to the end, you must have most of your data collection and analysis done. I suppose you'll also have a fair chunk of the write up done as well. I could be wrong, so would it be possible for you to broadly outline what difficulties you are having. Trust me when I say that you're not the only one. Someone on this forum will have been through what you're experiencing - and there's a lot of advice you may be able to receive too. So please don't be shy and try and be a little more forthcoming if you can. Like you, I'm close to the end and frequently think about jacking it in.

D

Thanks for the reply. I know so close to the end it would be silly. Datas all collected (and was pretty extensive!) and thesis is almost written in draft form bar a discussion for one study. So would be stupid to quit now. Just feel like after all the hassle Ive had and wanting to quit at various time points people have constantly told me to carry on and that it will get better etc. But every time I find myself in a worse situation than the last time.

I know this place is anonymous I just feel if I give too many specifics smeone will know how I am. But basically for various reasons there has been a breakdown in my supervisory relationship but I am stuck working with this person who has serious issues and seems to have a vendetta against me to stop me finishing my phd. Just wont leave me alone. As soon as I think its sorted and Im getting on something else happens, like getting hit with a complaint. This was thrown out by School as false but still its just hassle I could do without. I dont even go into the School anymore and have moved home because I dont feel comfortable being there. I knoow its only a couple of months but its just making me miserable and although friends/family/fellow researchers etc are supportive I dont think anyone really has any idea how much its actually effecting me.

B

======= Date Modified 19 Feb 2010 05:17:56 =======
Have you considered speaking to a counsellor at your university? This might help you let off steam, since you say your friends and family don't understand how much it's affecting you. And if you could let off steam, maybe it would be easier for you to get through the final few months? Counsellor discussions are confidential, and you wouldn't get in trouble for anything you say. Most universities have a counselling service for their students.

Good luck.

L

I think you should definitely quit. Definitely.

T

Doctor?, it sounds as if the situation is really hard for you, and I wouldn't advocate risking your wellbeing. But at the same time, it would be terrible to have gone through it, even written your thesis, and then to have nothing in return. Would it be possible to seek support rather than just walking away? I'd second the idea of a counsellor, someone who can give you emotional back-up in a bad situation, rather than you having to lose out as if it's your fault.
I'm guessing that given your stuck with this unhelpful person (I'm assuming that even after their clearly making false allegations, you don't have the option of ditching them?), you won't want to take a break and return later. Do you have other supervisors or academics who could support you so you can simply cut this person out?

D

Thanks for the support everyone.
I have had some counselling in the past to try and deal with my supervision issues/situation etc but didnt find it particularly helpful as I kind of felt like I could talk about it til the cows come home but it doesnt actually change the situation. Really in the grand scheme of things I have to spend very little time with this supervisor now so its not the end of the world, but its just the fact that they are there and around. I have a panic attack almst every time I see them. It just feels so unjust. My other supervisor has been quite supportive and I suppose coming this far it would be so silly to quit. Suppose I just have to let it go and know that at the end of the day although the situation Im in is wrong and unfair, I'll have my PhD and then I can just walk away. Thanks for listening to my rant. Was feeling veeeery down about it last night but I suppose a good nights sleep (well, even a poor nights sleep) gives you a bit of perspective, thanks again.

I

======= Date Modified 22 Feb 2010 10:12:03 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Don't let the b******s suck the life out of you. Stick it to them by finishing.