5 months till the end!

S

Hi All,
Been doing this thesis for absolutely agesssssssss...... seven years!!!!!!! Got 5 months to my non-negotiable deadline! Anyone else out there trying to finish in 5 months? Finding it really hard to keep going.... Looking for company and tips to keep going...
Best wishes
SM(up)

B

Wow! 7 years! Good luck! My uni deadline was 6 years, and I managed to come within that, just. So I can understand your long slog. Good luck for the last push. I found things accelerated very near the end, in case that's any comfort. But I still didn't think I'd make it until suddenly I did.

S

Hi Sm2010

I'm hoping I have less than 5 months to go, but this all just takes so long, the rewriting is never ending and so who knows, I might be going for another 5 mths, but geez, I hope not. I started a thread on '6 months to go' 4 mths ago, and I update on that a bit.

It is incredibly hard to keep going and at times the amount of rewriting just seems overwhelming, but I still work. I work in 25 minutes chunks (tomatoes) http://mytomatoes.com/ and just do one after the other, every day and clock them up. I also use the chat room at http://phinished.org/ where we all work together in 25 minute blocks, then chat for 5, then work again, for hours and hours every day. It helps a lot with keeping the motivation up and in feeling less isolated.

Lately I've also found that having a bit of a life helps - I was doing nothing other than working all the time, to get the thesis done, but getting very depressed and so an now doing more fun things, which will delay my completion, but at least keep me sane. It's tough going, but you're not alone. Good luck!

C

Hi! I'm a part-time student trying to finish within my six years, so I'm at a similar stage and understand the pain of the long, hard slog. I have just about 4 1/2 months to go although I want to have it pretty much done before my supervisor goes away for the summer in June. I have reasonable drafts of everything now and it suddenly looks a bit like a thesis but it still needs a lot of work.

Anyway, back to work on a Bank Holiday: the realities of writing-up! Will definitely see you around for company and solidarity!