58 minutes and counting

N

I knew it was coming up but didn't know it was so soon. I really hope it has gone well for you Jinkim, hopefully we'll see some good news posted on here soon! xxx

J

Hi guys,

Firstly, thank you so much for all the good luck messages yesterday, and for all your support over the last year I've been on the forum! It's amazing to know there are others going through the same thing, and it's been a huge help to me!!

Now, about my viva yesterday. Well, I passed :-)

I have some very minor amendments to do, which they've given me a month to complete. However, I will get them done within 2 hours (if that) today so I'm pretty pleased with the outcome!

The viva itself wasn't half as scary or terrifying as I'd expected. I'd always imagined it as if I were in a dark interrogation room, with a spotlight shining down on me from above, and my examiners being shadows in the corner throwing bullets (well questions) at me. It wasn't like that at all. Once I got in the room, my sicky, "I'm going to cry" feeling disappeared.

My first question was about why I embarked on the research, and after that we went through my thesis section by section, but spent a lot of time discussing theory and methodology. My results seemed to surprise my externals (I had 2 - don't ask!), but in a really good way, and rather than question me on them, we just discussed their impact and how we could use them for the greater good, I suppose. I actually enjoyed the experience, although I was challenged.

In all, the viva lasted and hour and 15 minutes, and the examiners deliberated for about 15mins before giving me the verdict.

Right... on with those amendments!! :p

Wow congratulations Jinkim, needless to say, I am very jealous!

I'd say get on with admendments and then start piling up all those journal articles for the ceremonial bonfire! (or recycling if you want to cut carbon emissions).

(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)(up)

Are you doing a postdoc jinkim? or will you be leaving us? :-(

J

Thanks Sneaks!! You'll be there before you know it!!

I'm doing a post-doc... you guys can't get rid of me that easily! :p

M

Great to hear a success story - well done! :-)

W

Yeah, well done Jinkim65!

N

Fantastic Jinkim - well done!! :-)

Sounds like it all went pretty perfectly, will you be graduating this summer? Nxx

P

Brilliant, Dr Jinkim, congratulations! Nice one on the minor corrections, that's what I am hoping for!

W

Doh, I should have said well done, Dr Jimkim! Have you thought about your first media appearances yet, now you're a doctor? I'm going to do This Morning, write a self-help book (by Dr Walminski), called Now you're in the Driving Seat, do a cameo on Hollyoaks, bring out a range of designer boxer shorts (Walminski's Essentials), and, hopefully, my own aftershave (Amour Academe).

J

I was hoping to take the place of Dr Linda Papadopoulos as the most widely recognised TV psychological analyst. I reckon she's had enough time in the lime-light. Time to move over and make space for a new face (that rhymed...). Although I would have to change my name to something most people couldn't pronounce without speaking really slowly. I'll work on that one once the amendments are done...

C

Congratulations and good luck with your psotdoc! (up)(gift)

H

Congrats on defending your thesis successfully Dr. Jinkim65.

B

Congratulations! Delighted for you 8-)

S

Congratulations Doc!! (up)