6 mths to go - count down's on!!

C

Hi Sue,
Good luck for your thread and the next 6 months! I'll definitely follow your progress. I still hope to hand in in March (31st will do!) but struggling post Christmas and balancing too many other things. Will be back in a more positive frame of mind soon, I hope.

Hope your first day was successful

CG x

D

Good luck! I submitted and passed my PhD 10 years ago, when I was 17. I'm now growing the largest pair of man breasts ever, I'm hoping to get into the Guinness book of records!

R

Dear all "6 monthers",

related to the final part of the process: I am trying to complete my thesis, have most the chapters more or less completed. Just a bit in doubt regarding what to attach as appendices.

Would documents like moderation scheme, topic guides, coding trees etc. need to be attached? Or would this be over the top? I mean I do not want to turn it into an extremely long bookwork. No guidance on this on the university website.

What would you think ?

S

Quote From Dr_Man_Boobs:

Good luck! I submitted and passed my PhD 10 years ago, when I was 17. I'm now growing the largest pair of man breasts ever, I'm hoping to get into the Guinness book of records!

Maybe you could grow a brain while you're at it.

S

Quote From rick:

Would documents like moderation scheme, topic guides, coding trees etc. need to be attached? Or would this be over the top? I mean I do not want to turn it into an extremely long bookwork. No guidance on this on the university website.

What would you think ?

Hi Rick

Being in a different area to you, am not sure what these things are...My appendix will consist of the questions I asked my interviewees, and maybe the interview schedule. I think if an examiner would have questions relating to your work that could be clarified with an appendix, I'd include the additional material.

Sorry to be so vague...

R

Hi Sue,

thanks for you reply.

I agree that for the reader it may be useful to have that information. However where do you stop? I have all kind of checklists etc.
I will ask my supervisor specifically.:-)

P

Helloooooooo! I am here....!! Fresh from the 10 months into link.....!!

Yes, I am aiming now for 6 months but my Prof reckons 8!! Only because I have such a complicated analysis to complete and I am waiting for a script to be written for me (brain scan analysis - MATLAB).
But, I need to aim for 6 months, for sanity purposes....
Came into this fair New Year's Day with great trepidation, knowing at 24.00 hrs, I could officially say I was finishing my doctorate this year....
Come on, we can do it....:-)(up)(mince)(robin)(turkey)

P

PS

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

Hi PN! Nice to see you here! Yes, know what you mean - this is the year we'll do it! Altho I may not graduate until next year, depending on how long the examiners take to get back to me and how long I need for changes. But will definitely be submitting in 6 mths. Here we go!

All I need to do now is start working again rather than just talking about it!

B

Good luck to everyone in this thread! I've heard back from my supervisor and have an outline of the few things that need to be changed before submission. Just waiting for my final draft (with scribbled feedback) to turn up in the post, then it's back to the grindstone for a few more weeks for me.

We'll get there!

A

======= Date Modified 04 Jan 2010 14:46:14 =======
well done Bilbo! you're almost there! how exciting!! Well, that's me back on the radar, no more "taking a wee break til January", its now stupid, cold, snowy January and time to get the piles of papers back out! So Hello Everyone, i'm back and determined to be submitting in around 6 months....final submission date is September, but would love to get a summer this year for first time in forever!
So here goes to many evenings and weekends spent at my dining table (which is no longer for dining :-s)

plan for this week:
-Sort out the piles of papers etc and get into some kind of order - which I never seem to be able to do...any suggestions welcome!
-Finish putting together final report for funding body - VERY IMPORTANT, should have been in by xmas:$
-Read over intro and other chapters written so far and refamiliarise myself
-Make list of checkpoints to get to and when and breakdown exactly what I need to do DONE
-Email supervisor and let him know i haven't dropped off the planet, give him my 6month plan and organise meeting DONE

Also have monitoring committee next week so need to start thinking about that!

AAAAHHHHHHHH! feels good to get all that out of my head and typed out! now that its written on here maybe i will be more determined to actually succeed and get a DONE written next to them all! (as a fabulous Dr once did :)!)

I'm actually pretty scared, even though it's only been two months it seems forever since i looked at it all, i feel like half the information has just fallen out of my head!!! and the thought of being motivated every night to come home from work and work all night on this and on the weekends is pretty daunting! but on the otherhand, the IDEA of being so good and doing it and seeing myself progress, submit and finish is very exciting!!!

Lets hope together we can all do this! I'll probably see a few of you on the nocturnal workers thread too....!
right, i'm off to bed, for one last early night with a nice FICTIONAL book, ready to get up tomorrow and sit down to the desk all day! (up)(up)

S

Hello AL!!

Nice to have you back on the forum!! So you've had a couple of months to settle in to your new job and are ready to start writing again? Excellent, we'll all be here too. I'm working full-time this month in a 'real' job, so will also be coming home and studying after work too. The info will still be in your head, you'll be fine.

Technically I also have till Sep, but need to get this done by 1 July as I need to go back to my office job then. So, we're both on the same time frame. We'll get there!

A

HI Sue, its actually good to be back on here! although i'm only just up and about, enjoying fictional reading too much...! :$ Therefore a bit disappointing of me for my first day back at the thesis! oops! but i'll build myself up gradually! (that sounds like such an excuse!)

Really glad to have someone on teh same timescale as me, especially as we'll be evening and weekend folks together! I am feeling settled into new job, glad i took the time to relax and get to know it, feel now i can start 2010 knowing what i'm doing and comfortable with the people i work with (which is a big thing for me).
have you started back at office job this week? hope you're not finding it too daunting too? i'm going to try and keep thinking about the positive, exciting aspect of graduation!!

:p

D

Quote From Sue2604:

Quote From Dr_Man_Boobs:

Maybe you could grow a brain while you're at it.

Sorry, but that's not an option.

A

Quote From alpacalover:

plan for this week:
-Sort out the piles of papers etc and get into some kind of order - which I never seem to be able to do...any suggestions welcome!
-Finish putting together final report for funding body - VERY IMPORTANT, should have been in by xmas:$ DONE and sent to supervisor to check! :)
-Read over intro and other chapters written so far and refamiliarise myself
-Make list of checkpoints to get to and when and breakdown exactly what I need to do DONE
-Email supervisor and let him know i haven't dropped off the planet, give him my 6month plan and organise meeting DONE

Also have monitoring committee next week so need to start thinking about that!

Wow, i've made my first start, maybe have a read over some chapters and have a free evening with a glass of wine as first day rewards....!
:p