6 mths to go - count down's on!!

A

Hi folks, hope all is going well?

Sue - I hope you're not stressing too much about all these decisions, time will tell and right now I would just concentrate on the thesis, then you can clear your brain of it all, relax and see your decisions more clearly.

I've had a very unproductive weekend of work, managed to get a couple hours done tonight, read a couple papers towards a little paragraph of argument and made a draft of it, but my brain is switched off. On the up side my partner and I have spent some quality time together, seen a few friends, relaxed and i'm feeling quite refreshed! :)
Going to have to get some serious work done over next couple of weeks but have sisters 30th next weekend, and my nephew is full of sickness bug so gotta go help with the babysitting while sis works couple days this week - hopefully he'll be sleeping lots and can get some reading done, but such is life! Luckily had hours to take back from work, but had planned on full study days - so we'll see.

right, i'm off to chill before bed, I have a big day tomorrow running a new project I started at my new job so need a clear awake head!
Hope you've all had good weekends whatever you've been doing! a relaxed AL x

S

Hi AL

Good to hear you've been relaxing a bit!! You need to spend time with family and friends, can't be working all the time. You'll get stuff done, and will be more productive now you're refreshed.

And AL and Poppy, thanks for the advice. Yes, a majorly stressy week last week. I did apply for the job, but am going to withdraw my application and just concentrate on getting the thesis done. You're right AL, once this is done then I can take stock and really put effort into job hunting...just have get this out of the way first. Poppy, yes, will probably end up doing a job that's not related to my field, but you're right, hopefully won't be long-term.

Am planning by the end of this week to have the second draft of all my field work chapters done - now that's getting somewhere!! That pinprick of light will grow into a needlepoint!! Have been working hard, had last nite off tho - first time in 2 weeks that I'd spent more than 2 hours away from studying, apart from sleeping. Getting there...

Have a good week everyone!

A

Good to hear you sounding more positive Sue, and very glad to hear you had last night off! You deserve it, and shouldn't allow yourself to not have any time off like that over a fortnight - no wonder you were stressed out!!

Wow, thats brilliant progress Sue! Once you've done that its time for a reward for yourself I think! A day out with friends or family or a shopping day or something!
I've decided if i can get first two results chapters off for first draft by Easter i'm going to take a long weekend to see my best friend who's pregnant (i'm missing her like crazy)! Would be an awesome reward and its spurring me on to get on with it!

good luck with your week, i'm sure you can do it!

P

Hey guys, just wanted to share the latest news - I have got a viva date at the end of May! I have not even submitted yet, but I am still on course for end of March. And I know who my external is going to be, which is good. Gosh, it does make it super real now that this is all coming to an end! Plus, I have started on my Conclusions chapter (although I will have to go back to some of the other chapters still) which makes the whole thing come together and it is amazing how it's all speeding up to this final point of submission! And still, I must not lose focus and attention now, still a bit to do... Let's keep it all going - the last stretch...(sprout)

S

Hey Poppy, that's great!!! To think, you'll be Dr Poppy in 3 months - wow!! The end really is in site!! That's so inspiring!! Good luck with revisions. (up)

B

======= Date Modified 22 Feb 2010 10:46:05 =======
Gosh, congratulations Poppy! I don't have my viva date yet, and I have submitted, but am expecting it to be end of March. My external examiner was decided before I submitted, but the internal was only sorted out afterwards, and has recently changed again, so that's caused a teeny delay.

I found that things speeded up hugely in the last few stages. Particularly at the very end, when I was thinking I would still need a couple of weeks, and then 24 hours later I was all done!

M

Hello to all on this thread,

Can I join in? I have six months, or so, to go and fluctuate between feeling that it is certainly achieveable....or it sends me into a blind panic. I sometimes find that  If I let myself "surf" the net and post to forums and go on Facebook it is a distraction; but it is also darned lonely sitting in this office on my own with only a sleeping cat for company!
So some virtual company would be nice!
I might just lurk on the thread rather than be too active. But its nice to know I am not alone!
Currently trying to finish a chapter draft by the end of this week as we have visitors at the weekend and I want to enjoy myself without the guilt!
Matilda;-)

S

Hi Matilda

Welcome to the thread! Of course you can join, and be as active as you want. Yep, it's a lonely business all right, this forum is a godsend for us hermits busy writing up. Good luck with your work - hope you do post and keep us up to date with your progress.

M

Yippee
A really great productive day today and lots of good words on paper ( i.e. in the right order and they seem to make sense.)
My cats are getting rather annoyed that my pomodoro timer keeps buzzing every 25 minutes and waking them up - hey, but it seems to work for me and helped the motivation today.

I will feel even more smug when my hubbie drags me to the gym this evening - a productive work day AND doing exercise too. What is happening? I must remember this feeling on the rubbish days.
Sending you all good wishes
Matilda

M

Ok, I'm not quite so smug....did not go to the gym as hubbie was late home.
Chilled out with a beer and a curry instead - well deserved every now and again after a hard day using the 'little grey cells'!
:$

D

hey,
haven't posted in a while on this thread so though i would update
i've had a hard the time the last couple of weeks - feeling anxious about the whole submission process - from finishing it, to the quality of the writing, to the dreaded viva! this week has been a turning pooint though and am feeling like i can tame the beast! i'm going to start the tomato timer technique as some people have been raving about it and i'm finding myself lacking focus... will update later as to how many tomoatoes i managed!
i also realised yesterday that i am 70% of the way there with my thesis write up and that really helped - on the home run!!
i'm determined to get this thesis done on time... speaking of which i should crack on!

S

Hey DrSeeker

Yeh, this whole thing is anxiety-inducing, and apparently it just gets worse the closer we get to finishing - so hang in there. Excellent that you've made a turning point this week tho, sounds like a definite change of mind for the better! And 70% is excellent - is your pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel a needle point now? Bigger? A flashlight's worth??
:-)

And curry and a beer sounds lovely Matilda! A nice reward!!

Glad people are doing well. We're getting there, be it ever so slowly...

B

Quote From Sue2604:

Yeh, this whole thing is anxiety-inducing, and apparently it just gets worse the closer we get to finishing - so hang in there.

Actually it didn't for me! My worst period was back in August/September, so about 6 months before I finished. Remember I'm a very very part-time student. Then as I got nearer to the end, and had more finished writing under my belt, I felt better about things, and the anxiety lifted. And things accelerated too work-wise. So I felt much better as time went on.

Ok I had submission nightmares shortly before submission, but after submitting I still haven't had a viva nightmare, though I might once I'm given a formal date :p

M

Dr Seeker

I hope that the tomato timer ( or Pomodoro technique ) works for you. I always though I was quite self-motivated, but I had difficulty stopping work even if my productivity was rubbish and then ended up exhausted and tired the following day. Using the technique has really helped. I am quite evangelical about it and recommend it to anyone who will listen to me. ( friends are starting to get annoyed methinks!)

Matilda

D

I'm just packing up for the day and i will definitely be using the tomato timer in future! 11 tomatoes and nearly 3000 words - feeling very pleased with myself!! :-) Not sure how this compares to most people but I'm pleased! Tomorrow will aim for 12!
I too will be recommeending it and also thought I was productive before! Why did nobody tell me about this technique in my first year?! I get easily distracted and go off on tangents so felt much more focused today as I had to work in short bursts
The light at the end of the tunnel is defintely more than a pin prick! It has been sunny here this afternoon so it feels like spring is defintely on the way too - a very positive day all round!
Hope you've all had good days too - I'm now off to treat my other half to a pint as he's had a bad day
xx